Author Topic: Hex nut point method  (Read 8365 times)

Offline jeffp51

Hex nut point method
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:21:36 am »
Saw this on youtube and thought I would try it.  I really like the results.  Super easy too.
1. Start with 8-32 threaded rod and cut it into 2-3 inch lengths, depending on what weight you want. 

2.File away the burs and add 3 or 4 nuts.  I like the brass ones because they are a little easier to work, but zinc works too.

3. Tighten the three nuts against each other, leaving about 3 threads of threads of the rod sticking out the end.  It seems to help if the flat sides are lined up.

Offline jeffp51

Re: Hex nut point method
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:31:45 am »
4. Put the rod in a drill press and set for the highest speed.

5. Spin the drill and the dremel cutoff wheel at top speed and grind in the point to the desired shape.  Keep going untill the lines between the nuts disappear.

6.  You can smooth the point and polish it with progressive grades of wet-dry sandpaper.  I like to finish with brasso--It makes a beautiful shiny point, even if I know it will be scratched  up after a couple of times through the target.  I like to see my face in it at least when I start.

7.  I use gorrilla glue to haft.  It fills in all the gaps and is the most secure stuff I have found so far.

Each tip took me less than 5 minutes once I had the tools set up and ready to go.  I am liking these much better than the duplex nails I have been using, while keeping the same scavenger feel to them--I don't have to buy a pre-made tip.  Each one is less than a dollar.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:26 am »
Pretty cool Idea. Thanks for sharing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:07:07 am »
Very cool. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:54:29 pm »
Like they say there is more than one way to skin a cat and this goes to show it.   8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 12:55:39 pm »
They look awesome!  But the time and cost for them, does it add up? 

(my personal rule is, if I can make something that's worth 20$ in an hour, then I'll go for it)

But I also find arrow-making from scratch tedious. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 03:14:41 pm »
If this were about "saving money and time", we'd all go out to a pawn shop and buy a cheap second hand wheeliebow!  Sometimes it is about bragging rights, showing off, and proving you can do it

And it is always up to the individual to define whether or not it is worth the effort.  As for arrows, I'm with you...hate makin' 'em with a purple passion!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 12:28:41 pm »
I agree with JW, but on the other hand, I figure each point has $.40 of materials in it, and I timed myself making one last night.  It took eight minutes from start to finish,  So it is a win for Tree Ninja too.  I may have to make one with a zinc nut between the two brass.  that may look cool too.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 03:19:02 pm »
Or zinc washers between each nut???
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 05:17:39 pm »
Saw this on youtube ...
Ya may have seen mxred's vid.  He's a good guy.  Wish he was still visiting these forums & making archery related vids.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 05:28:31 pm »
I did see the mxred vid. If you have a grinder like he does, this would be even easier. I didn't think about washers.  that would look really neat with thin bands.  As they are now the threaded rod makes a silver point on top of the brass.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 09:14:04 pm »
Very cool,  I'll have to try that. What kinda weight are you getting? Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:12 pm »
I don't have a grain scale, but a two-inch shaft with three nuts is 6 grams (92grain?) and a three inch shaft with 4 nuts weighs 9 grams (139 grain?)  The conversions can only be approximate, of course.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:44:11 am »
If this were about "saving money and time", we'd all go out to a pawn shop and buy a cheap second hand wheeliebow!  Sometimes it is about bragging rights, showing off, and proving you can do it. 

I was just being pragmatic, and no, this site isn't about saving money, but when you look at complete wooden arrows to purchase, it's not hard to save the money by making them yourself. A wheelie-bow second hand is still expensive (and not in the spirit of the primitive archer).

I agree with JW, but on the other hand, I figure each point has $.40 of materials in it, and I timed myself making one last night.  It took eight minutes from start to finish,  So it is a win for Tree Ninja too.  I may have to make one with a zinc nut between the two brass.  that may look cool too.

Wow! Okay you win. I really like how they look compared to the ones you can buy.  The brass looks bad-ass, and is unique. With unstained raw cypress shafts (yellow cedar or port orford)  I think they would look really slick.  I think I will have to try. 

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 12:23:16 pm »
I would love to see the results when you do.