Author Topic: Yumi fabrication process  (Read 13273 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Yumi fabrication process
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 04:19:25 pm »
I'm not real clear about how the Yumi "knock" block are arranged.  do that go over the bamboo or is the belly bamboo shorter and they butt up against it?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 07:48:14 pm »
question:
How do you smooth the transition on the cores that you added wood thickness to like the Indian bows?

What is the material above and below the grip and arrow pass?

How thick is the core at the center on the wasabi bows?  Love that bow with black and yellow!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:02:07 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 04:09:42 pm »
Prairie Bowyer: Well, I think the knock block you refer to is what I call a static plate, which is glued to the belly side of core when the bow is glued together. It is butted against the belly bamboo plate .
  The material used for the arrow pass is rattan. Chair caning material. It comes in various widths, so I use thicker for the arrow pass and thinner for below the grip and bow tips. Sometimes craft stores sell it. I told you how to apply it in a previous message.
  As for the thickness of the core at the center of the bow, it varies depending on the draw wt. needed and the wood used in the core. I usually make it say 5/16 " to 3/8" but you'll have to play around with that for yourself.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 05:05:00 pm »
I'm going to do a few dry runs with the moso I have access to.  Then we'll talk about some madake?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 12:21:55 pm »
Further research has suggested that the number of laminations in the core can vary and be as many as 5?  I notice that you are using 3. 

Would there be a performance difference if the whole core were laminations if boo core?

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »
Sometimes I make a fully laminated bamboo core, and I find that when you add the dense hardwood along the sides , the result is a bow which takes less set and is  better in performance. Especially in longer bows like you are wanting to make. I believe that Japanese bowmakers of old, discovered the same thing, otherwise they would have used an all laminated bamboo core. There are so many combinations of core materials and the way they are oriented, that your imagination is the only limit. Using 5 bamboo and 2 wood  in the core will give a nice smooth draw, and using 3 lams of bamboo and wood along the sides will yield a stiffer draw. When I make a bow for someone I consider the person using the bow and how they want it to perform. Ex. hunting or target shooting or long distance shooting etc. Shooting heavy arrows or light wt. arrows. Long draw or shorter draw, on so on. Then I choose the bamboo for the core and the wood matched with it . It's the core which is the engine for these bows, and that's where the speed and cast come from. Of course there are other factors influencing a bows performance.So how are you getting along so far?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 08:06:57 pm »
 Tend to do WAY too much research and thinking before starting a project.  I've hot 2 yew bows on the bench and need to order my next bag of boo.

I have some mulberry I. Thinking of using on the sides for the first one.  Or some hornbeam.  But haven't cut anything just yet

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 06:35:00 pm »
What kind of cane wrapping is best to use on the Grip?

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 08:33:51 pm »
Prairie Bowyer:I have 2 different widths of rattan which I use. 1 is wider at 3/16 inch and I use it for the arrow pass.Then a narrow one is 1/16 inch wide and it is great for wrapping the limbs.Both are flat on 1 side and come in long strands. Craft stores usually sell it for caning chairs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 01:04:35 am »
How do you put it on?  Is it glued?