Author Topic: Ocean Spray Haul  (Read 3662 times)

Offline DC

Ocean Spray Haul
« on: December 02, 2014, 03:41:36 pm »
Gathered some OS this morning. The short fat one is 58" long and 2 3/4" diameter in the middle. I may get two bows out of it. There are three with large knots but I think one will disappear when I rough it out and another will have the knot in the belly side of the handle. The longest one has a big lumpy knot in the middle. I have to think about that one.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:45:56 pm by DC »

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Ocean Spray Haul
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:11:27 pm »
Nice haul.  Never tried that wood before, but have seen pics of some pretty bows.  One can never have too much bow wood! ;)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 06:13:34 pm »
Quick, split it before it checks! But seriously, those are some fine pieces of ocean spray, ought to make some fine bows.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:40:44 pm »
Nice haul.  Ocean Spray is on my list of bow woods that I want to try.  I tried to talk bowtarist out of a small piece of it but he wasn't cooperating.   :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »
I'd send you a piece but that short, fat one in the picture weighs 13 1/2 pounds. I don't think I could afford the freight.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 08:18:34 pm »
I know that stuff is dense.  Bowtarist's sapling felt like a piece of rebar.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:27:49 pm »
Ill take the 2nd and 4th from the left,and you can burn the rest  :laugh:

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 08:42:47 pm »
Ill take the 2nd and 4th from the left,and you can burn the rest  :laugh:
Do you want those 2 because they are naturally reflexed..? Why not the straight ones..?

A short write up on OS

Historical/Cultural uses: The alternative names for Oceanspray, Arrow–Wood and Ironwood,  give us a hint of its former uses. The wood was exceptionally hard and strong and was invaluable to First Nations people. They used it to fashion arrows, harpoons, digging tools, sharp pins to anchor teepees and even awls for sewing and beadwork. Because the wood does not burn readily, it was also used to make cooking tools and spits for roasting salmon.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:19:40 pm »
nice haul there! its tough finding stuff that size.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »

A short write up on OS

Historical/Cultural uses: The alternative names for Oceanspray, Arrow–Wood and Ironwood,  give us a hint of its former uses. The wood was exceptionally hard and strong and was invaluable to First Nations people. They used it to fashion arrows, harpoons, digging tools, sharp pins to anchor teepees and even awls for sewing and beadwork. Because the wood does not burn readily, it was also used to make cooking tools and spits for roasting salmon.

It also makes the best toothpicks, which is how I got into this.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:10:53 am »
My new love......aaaahhhhhhh.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 09:50:01 am »
Nice Haul,

I guess we'll see in a year what you get out of it.  Perfect weather to be harvesting it too!

There's so much oceanspray around here, I can afford to be picky with my sticks. (I've got "standing inventory" I just need to cut it)

Have you tried reverse tillering the deflex on any to make it reflex? I'm not brave enough to try it.

I never have any luck splitting them while green (especially when you can see the juice flowing out after you cut them).  I always seal the ends , and wait for 2-3 months before I attempt to split them. 

Do you have a bandsaw?  Splitting with an axe is tough to make two even staves.  I wouldn't worry too much about the big knot, just leave it thicker at first (some of the knots are tougher than the rest of the stave, some are weak).  Only issue is the checks and splits  usually start at the knots....

I always start with the ugliest stick and work my way up to the nice ones.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 10:06:21 am »
Looks like a great haul.  Can't wait to see what you come up with

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 12:59:06 pm »

Have you tried reverse tillering the deflex on any to make it reflex? I'm not brave enough to try it.

Do you mean make the outside of the tree the belly?