Author Topic: Stain and tip overlays  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Loope

Stain and tip overlays
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:29:23 pm »
I am making some hickory bows and will be dyeing/staining the wood.  How do you guys keep from getting dye in the tip overlays?  On previous bows, I just tried to be very careful while applying dye so that it didn't get on the overlays.  Would it work better to try to seal the overlays with something before putting dye on the hickory?  I have a variety of overlay material, and am using either purpleheart or bocote on these bows.

Thanks,

Michael

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Stain and tip overlays
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:00 pm »
Good question ..........I've wondered the same on my hickory bows. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:28:58 pm »
Use black horn  ;)   ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:31:36 pm »
I have the same kind of project going now.  Hickory bow with purpleheart overlays.  We stained just the root (middle) of the bow, fading the stain out to about mid limb top and bottom.  then we (my son and I) are finishing the whole thing with tung oil.  It has a very striking look to it, and the tips retain their contrast with the rest of the bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:28 pm »
You could seal the overlays before you stain the bow then remove the sealer if it got stained too or stain the bow before adding the overlays. Make your mating surfaces first, stain, re-sand the mating surfaces and glue the overlays down. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:37:01 pm »
I just try no to get any on the overlays but I always do. After the stain dries I just re-sand the overlays.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 08:40:06 am »
I ran into the same issue as well, and solved it by sealing the overlays, then taping them off when I apply the stain. When applying the stain, I use a very small brush to sneak up on the glue line of the overlays. Kinda double protection with the sealer and tape.

Hope that helps.

FF
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 08:40:09 am »
Or just use a fine artist's brush to apply it around the overlay.

Dave 
Rockford, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 09:02:02 am »
I use painters tape. Works just dandy and wont bleed. Rip it off when your done and seal it complete.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 05:14:23 pm »
I tiller the bow with tied on nocks, or with a tillering string with cups on the ends instead of notvhes, or I only cut side notches.  Then stain or dye the bow, glue on nocks, and finish.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 05:16:54 pm »
I do the same as Pearl Drums...Painters tape.

Offline Loope

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 11:44:29 pm »
The overlays are already glued on and shaped, so some suggestions I can't do.  I will try the painter's tape, then be careful, and then when I still get some on the overlay I will sand it off;)  I had not thought of the tape or the sanding touch-up.  Thanks guys!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 02:02:41 am »
I've used masking tape, too.

@Loope: Purple heart is the worst overlay material I can think of; year rings must be perpendicular to the bow back. But better not at all. The only wood that ever splintered while unbracing (edged grain); string  got stuck,  belly lam fretted.
Frank from Germany...