Author Topic: Fletching damage  (Read 2126 times)

Offline DC

Fletching damage
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:45:39 pm »
I made a half dozen arrows and have about a dozen shots on each. I'm noticing that the fletching and the sinew wrap at the front of the fletching is getting damaged. I thought that if an arrow was spined correctly that the fletching would bend around the bow and not hit it. I bare shafted these and they shot pretty good at 10 yds. Is this damage trying to tell me something?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fletching damage
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:54:25 am »
If you are getting damage on the fletching you aren't getting good arrow flight, probable due either to improper spine or bad release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:02:58 am »
Or there's something on your arrow pass causing a problem. Is something sticking out, or elevated in any way? Your arrow pass needs to be clean and smooth. Beyond that, it's likely bad tuning or bad release.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 11:36:28 am »
How about low brace? I just realized that my brace height seems to have slipped a bit. The fletching just touches the pass right now. How long does it take for the string to settle down? The string is either still stretching or the knot is slipping. I've shot it about 100 times. I'll raise the brace height again. This will be the third time, I think.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »
If you have Dacron, timber hitch and non-pre-stretched string, for sure 100 shots is not enough. Most likely a couple of hundreds more shots and then the brace height shoulb be quite stable. Still worth of checking it every now and then.

I do also suspect low brace height is quilty and damages the fletch sinews.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 04:03:00 pm »
Sorry, it's Fast Flyte. I think I may have found out why it was slipping. I had twisted the tail end into cord where I thought the boyers knot was going to be and then shortened the string past that. I have found in the past that I can't get a boyers knot to hold on parallel strands. Anyway, I undid it and re-twisted more of it. Now the knot is in a cord area. We'll see

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:12:20 pm »
I had a similar problem and could not fix it with arrow tuning, but eventually  cured it with brace height adjustment
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"