Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

A hornbow for a beginner/basic questions

(1/2) > >>

HoorayHorace:
Good afternoon  :)

I am thinking of attempting to make a horn bow or two, mainly because I have the materials (wood, horn and sinew)

a) what is the easiest design for a beginner like myself? b) How long to make a good bow, as I understand it is at least a month before each sinew layer? c) What is the best climate for a hornbow to thrive? I understand dry climate is best, and a humid climate is bad?

Thanks  ;)

EDIT
I have never sinew backed before, so maybe I should start trying that a few times before using horn? I want to do it right from the beginning.

HoorayHorace:
55 views and no takers  :-\

james parker:
yep,, you need to  practice sinewing,,how many other type bows have you built?  composite horn bows can be difficult even for seasoned experienced bowyers, not trying to dishearten you,,just realistic,, but if you going to go for it straight on,, you will get all the help you can stand,, plenty of helpers here,,,
what kind of horn have you got ,,species,size?

duke3192:
Horace, where are you located. I am in central Fl. I've done several sinew backed bows, but I just broke my first attempt at a composite bow. I had a weak spot in the wood core that I thought I could fix, didn't work, when I sinewed the limbs, the natural retraction of the sinew broke the core and the horn delamed, or maybe the other way around, DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS, the caps are deliberate. I did save the horn and most of the sinew, on to the next one with more knowledge.

wizardgoat:
I'm also working on my first horn bow. I've done 3 wood/sinew bows and think it's pretty important to not skip that step. I'm building a horn/sinew bow, no wood core. Until Adam prints more "Ottoman Turkish bows" which is actually a text book on composite bows, the book "native american bows" has good info too

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version