Author Topic: have to vent!  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Scottski

have to vent!
« on: November 30, 2014, 02:45:38 am »
I just want to know WHY?  WHY IS IT WHEN YOU SHOW SOMEONE A NEW TO YOU BOW THEY TAKE IT LOOK AT IT AND PULL THE STRING PAST THEIR STUPID EAR! WITH 4 FINGERS ON THE STRING AS LIKE LOOK AT ME IM SO STRONG!!! Then this goofball brother-in- law of mine looks at me after the fact and he ask me how far do you pull these back?  Ah not past you ear!!!   What are they trying to prove? I have never pulled any kind of bow past my ear!  I just don't get it. Sorry guys I had to get that off my chest. Are they trying to break your bows or are people really that ignorant to selfbows and recurves. This is not the first time I have encountered this. Just a lil peed off!
That's all I got to say about that.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: have to vent!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 03:52:43 am »
I hear ya brother! Had a guy  break one of mine doing that. I could have punched his lights out, but the bottom limb hit him in the privates. Two days later he brought me a black window recurve. Ended up costing him more than it did me other than my time. Oh yeah this was just 2 weeks ago! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 04:39:56 am »
Whenever someone wanted to pull one of My bows back, I'd make sure to put one of My arrows on the string. I've wondered the same thing - I think it falls into the "He Man" mentality thing, complete with Caveman (Tim Allen) grunt  :laugh:. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:03:11 am »
 Scottski, They don't know any better...Another thing you have to watch for is they love to dry fire it :o
I will tell them ahead of time now...Do not pull past your nose and please don't let go of the string!
                                                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:13:15 am »
People for some reason associate the wooden self bows with the movies and english longbows.  My ex father in law did somthing similar once.  I showed him a 100 pound longbow once that was unstrung.  I was busy splitting some hickory and when i looked, he had rammed one knock in the ground and placed a foot behind it and was pulling the other limb over his shoulder trying to string it.  I yelled no and heard a snap. He was a big enough butt to laugh it off and say that how they do it in the movies.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 08:27:18 am »
I had a recurve shooter at a 3-D shoot ask to look at my selfbow and then he drew it back to his normal 28" draw.  The bow was tillered for 25".  It didn't break but it still got me a little worked up. 

I shot a round with a guy at the Classic who had a fix for this problem.  He had one strand of FF tied on to the fade of the bow and to the bow string.  It was just the right length to allow it to go to full draw and not any further.  He said he started doing that after someone broke one of his bows.  It didn't seem to bother his shooting any.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 09:06:56 am »
Innocent ignorance.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 10:03:22 am »
I just stopped handing people strung bows! ;D But what really gets me is when they try to draw it unstrung, the top loop gets to about mid limb and they stare at me with this look in their eyes that says, "I'm doing something wrong aint I"?
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 10:13:03 am »
Innocent ignorance.
Yep.

As I hand over the bow I tell 'em it's NOT a compound bow, it's designed for shorter arms than they have (even if it's not true) and NOT to let go of string.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:47:32 am »
I always ask them if they've ever shot a bow.  If they say yes then I prod a bit to see what they know.  If they say no then I educate them a bit
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 12:11:43 pm »
I started a thread over at the Stickbow site called "selfbow  etiquette ". No surprise that people who had no experience with selfbows had no idea about these bows limitations, especially for the random knuckle dragging archer who quickly whipped every bow they held in their hands back to full draw.

The proper etiquette would be to ask " can I draw your bow, my draw length is X amount", pretty simple.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 01:24:25 pm »
Guess I should tell them more about my bows. Even if they don't want to hear it. I kinda like the string tied to the bow and string. Might have to try one for my self.  Then when they ask what it is I'll just tell them that's my ( Big dummy string) maybe that will work. 
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline RyanR

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 01:43:45 pm »
A friend of mine when I was in the Marines drew my first Osage bow I built back too far and it broke. He felt pretty bad and I felt even worse. I don't remember exactly what the bow looked like because it was years ago but, I am sure the tiller was horrible.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 04:38:38 pm »
My ex brother in law had to pull my first hickory bow back past his ear also ended up with a crack in it.

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
I know how you feel.  When I build a bow I like to pull it beyond the given draw in my case its 27" If it takes a little extra set pulling up to 29" so be it.   I stumbled upon a site that this guy sells wooden longbows.  He states that all the bows are pre-stressed and have taken set.
What I'm saying is if my bow is fit for my draw and it [breaks or cracks] a few inches beyond I have not done the job right. Its like a family car they are not meant to drive at a steady 100mph but they will.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell