Author Topic: have to vent!  (Read 5398 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: have to vent!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 07:12:05 pm »
WHY IS IT WHEN YOU SHOW SOMEONE A NEW TO YOU BOW THEY TAKE IT LOOK AT IT AND PULL THE STRING PAST THEIR STUPID EAR!

In 12 years I have NEVER had a girl or a woman do this.  Ever.  Period, end of discussion.  And frankly, it's the reason I would far rather make bows for the "distaff side" than for guys. 

No disrespect to you PD, but claiming "innocent ignorance" can't explain this difference in the approach to the bow that woman naturally show.  I honestly believe it is the basic insecurity males feel that cause us to need to show off our mastery of the difficult.  Guys just naturally have to turn everything into a whizzing contest. 

I think that mindset also causes those unlearned in primitive archery to summarily dismiss our equipment.  They may instinctively see that it takes more self control, practice, and skill to use this equipment....and in order to protect their eggshell ego, they must dismiss. The same may even go a long way to explain how advertising and marketing has proven so successful for the wheelie bow industry.  You can buy your way to proficiency and thus protect the  frail ego.

Now look at some of the people that really embody the spirit of primitive archery....notice the suppressed ego, the "listen and learn" attitudes, the willingness to admit to the multiple ways of achieving the same successful ends? 

Either that or women are not only better to look at then us guys, but they are smarter than us. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 08:26:38 pm »
but they are smarter than us.

I learned this right after I got married ;)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 09:47:35 pm »
If you hand a self bow to someone who doesn't know anything about archery, compound/ trad/primitive you can't get mad about it. How and why would they know that all the time we put in could be compromised so easily. A pretty pathetic hobby I'd say >:D.  Typically only other primitive guys ask to shoot my bows. If they have no experience than teach them

As for the woman thing I rarely hand bows over to them for a money shot.