Author Topic: New plains style beaded shirt  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Peatreg

New plains style beaded shirt
« on: August 15, 2014, 05:03:25 pm »
I wanted to post some pics of a new beaded plains style shirt that I'm working on. The hides are a German tanned hide and smoked. They're better than commercially tanned leather but not as good as brain tanned but it's pretty close. I made it in the old style using 2 full deer hides. The top 1/3rd of each hide is used for the two sleeves while the bottom 2/3rds of each hide makes the body of the shirt. For men's shirts the hides are positioned as if the animal is standing on it's hide legs therefore taking the natural shape of the hides and using that you have the front legs which hang below the sleeves and the hind legs hang from the bottom. Like they sometimes did, I had to create those on the bottom of the shirt and I may add them to the sleeves as well. This first picture is before I've done any cutting, just positioning the hides.

The next picture is after I've got the top portion cut off each hide for the sleeves, the neck hole has been created and the shoulder seams are sewn. The sleeves are positioned where they're going to go and the beadwork has been positioned. This gives an idea how the hides go together and how the overall shape of the shirt will look.

The next picture is after the sleeves have been sewn to the shirt. The bottom hem as been cut and the appendages have been attached to form the "legs" of the animal. The beaded shoulder strips have also been attached and sewn to the shirt

The next picture is after the beaded strips going along the sleeves have also been attached and sewn to the shirt. The bottom and the sides of the shirt has been fringed and the front and back have been tied together with thongs. Older style shirts had almost the entire sides of the shirt unsewn and open to facilitate air movement to keep the warrior cool while wearing the shirt. The sleeves have been tied together with thongs as well. Traditionally the sleeves were open as well except the sleeve might be sewn from the cuff towards the elbow a few inches. That is what I'll end up doing as my next step is to work on the sleeves and getting that finished

I will update this post as I get further along. I'm really enjoying making this shirt and I still have a ways to go before I'm finished. I've got quilled hairlocks to add as well as possibly some ermine hides and some painting.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: New plains style beaded shirt
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »
Fun read.  Looking forward to next steps.  Thanks for sharing!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:29:52 pm »
Thanks for posting and explaining. Cool project.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:46:29 am »
Real cool build-along!
If you have more pics of the work so far, please post them!
Frank from Germany...

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 05:17:45 am »
Enjoyed the post - way cool ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:38:33 am »
Way cool,that is looking good,I have several brain tanned hides,wished I knew how to put one like that together, this will help. :) :) Thanks for sharing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 02:39:44 pm »
I got some more work in this weekend.  I finished up sewing the sleeves from the cuff towards the elbow a few inches and got the large flaps fringed as well.  I have also attached the fringed bibs at the neck on the back and the front. The following picture is of the back of the shirt. I've got all the quilled hairlocks in place on the one side. I don't have enough locks to go along the shoulder strip on the front but I had enough for the back. I will get more locks to finish up the front.  The quilled hairlocks are 100% human hair with red, yellow and white quills.

The following picture is of the front of the shirt. In a later picture you'll see where I ran out of hairlocks on the front along the shoulder strip.  I also added on the front, two red ochre stained ermine hides to fill in some space at the top of the shoulder on the front.

The next picture is a close-up of the quilled hairlocks attached along the strips (back of shirt)

The next picture is a close-up of the ochre stained ermine hides at the top of the shoulder. In this picture you'll also see where I need to add the quilled locks after acquiring more

Later I'll post more pics as I get some more done. Next is attaching the quilled locks to the other side of the shirt and attach the two ochre stained ermine hides.  I'll also have to get more quilled locks to finish the front shoulder strip and some for the fringed bibs at the neck

Offline flungonin

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 11:13:44 pm »
Thats some pretty nice work you have going on there. One day maybe I will be able to do that with the hides I have. Yours is turning out really fine. Thanks for sharing

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:42 am »
Very nice, looking forward to seeing more as you progress.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Peatreg

Continuation and Completion
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 01:58:11 am »
Finally got back to work on the shirt. I ran out of the quilled locks and had to wait until I acquired more to be able to complete. I used red earth paint and painted the top portion of the shirt. I originally was just going to stain the ermine hides but then the pigment smeared onto the hide itself and so I decided that I might as well paint the rest. Still haven't figured out the best way to do it but I got it done and actually I think it turned out pretty good. I'm happy with the end results. It was a joy to do and I enjoy the satisfaction of seeing the finished project! On to the next project, buffalo hide winter moccasins with fur in and high uppers.

Finished back of shirt:

Finished Front:

Sleeve close up detail:

Close up detail:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:02:57 am by Peatreg »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 04:45:29 am »
That is some beautiful work, love it.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 03:39:27 pm »
Sweet
lota work but look what you ended up with !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 07:39:31 pm »
That turned out really nice. Is the upper color from ocher?   Curtis

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 08:46:47 pm »
Thanks! Yes it is

Offline Scottski

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 02:54:54 am »
Wow that is kool!! Nice work!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?