Author Topic: A battle in the bow shop  (Read 12392 times)

Offline Japbow

Re: A battle in the bow shop
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 12:14:58 am »

Beat you to it JW! (just barely)

Check out my Youtube link... ;)

Japbow.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 12:20:41 am »
I have had that gun since I was very young.  Besides bumble bees that's the first critter its ever killed.  Glad you guys liked the hunting story.  I guess I was a little bored last night.  That mouse must have been the last one.  My trap was untouched today.  I'll keep the Red Ryder handy just in case  ;) 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 12:51:08 pm »
Nice bit of writing there! Here in Yosemite we are still dealing with the fallout from the Hanta Virus outbreak of a couple of years ago. First it was a ziploc bag HV kit with mask and gloves and a trap and detailed instruction on how to dispose of the whole kit an kaboodle. Last week  - 4 trap sets = 4 mice! I just dump the thing out and re-use the trap. Figured as much mouse dung as I have been exposed to over the years I probably got some anitbodies. Now we got a three gallon bucket disposal kits for heavier infestations. Comes with traps, masks, gloves, disinfectant and a tightly sealed bucket with a removable screw on filler cap for disposal.

At an earlier office space here i had a trap line of about 15 mouse traps. usually about 5 per day. I do like the buckets of death can be made in a variety of ways.

Years ago we started having issues in my wifes car with the headlights. They would just go out while cruising down the highway. Ordered a new switch ( non-refundable electronic part) and when I was having work done on the car asked the mech if he could help me replace the switch. He came back in and says "Dude, you got a code 64!"  What's that? I says He come back with "Big F'ing Rat!" A pack rat had built a nest around the wiring harness where it was attached to the firewall and had chewed through the wires. Did not need the switch after all! :-\

So - let the mouse wars continue!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 02:42:26 pm »
I get the occasional mouse in the house but nothing a couple of traps wont take care of. My biggest issues have always been with my truck. Had one crawl thru the air intake duct and chew a hole in my air filter a couple of years ago. Worst part was my truck quit running and it took my two days to find the small peice of paper fluff stuck to the wire on my mass air flow sensor. Then this fall when the weather cooled enough for me to turn on my heater all i got was a big puff of rat nest floating thru the cab and all my vents plugged off >:(. Took two weeks and a coat hanger to finaly get the the vents cleared all the way. And this truck is my daily driver that rarely sits for more than 24 hours.
Steve Bennett

Offline dingas

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 08:55:01 pm »
With the bucket-o-death traps, if you put anti-freeze in the bucket it will pickle the mice so they wont stink - course, then you can't eat em >:D

Offline Tyke

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 09:14:58 pm »
That was awesome you need to make it into a huntin video next time
why buy it when you can build it

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 05:50:35 pm »
With the bucket-o-death traps, if you put anti-freeze in the bucket it will pickle the mice so they wont stink - course, then you can't eat em >:D

...replace the anti-freeze with Strong Vinegar, (I prefer an aged Balsamic) and the pickled mice should still be edible!  - OneBow

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 08:21:46 pm »

...replace the anti-freeze with Strong Vinegar, (I prefer an aged Balsamic) and the pickled mice should still be edible!  - OneBow

Dang near as good as pickled pig's feet and you can crunch through these bones!

My kestrel had a mysterious gain of 4 grams of weight last week, despite how I control his diet rigorously.  Then the other night I saw something out of the corner of my eye.  I am now running a trapline behind furniture and have nailed one mouse so far.  I figure since Hendrix, the American kestrel is loose in the house much of the day, he made an unauthorized kill! Explains his sudden weight gain.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 01:09:41 pm »
Livingroom falconry, now that's hunting :D :D

Offline Marks

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 12:58:57 pm »
Livingroom falconry, now that's hunting :D :D
That would be a 'hoot'.  >:D

Offline Big A

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 02:30:36 pm »
Glad you made such a good shot. My dad always said you had to shoot them between the eyes cause they charge when there wounded.
Big A

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 06:17:41 pm »
Clint, did you get it mounted, or just doing the skull mount?
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 09:14:06 pm »
I vote for a euro mount of the skull and a laprobe from the hide.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 09:30:04 pm »
I tried cooking a chipmunk skull with some others I was working on last year.  It was so thin it crumbled when I tried to clean it.  If I'm going to do a mouse skull I need to figure out a different method.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 09:42:03 pm »
I tried cooking a chipmunk skull with some others I was working on last year.  It was so thin it crumbled when I tried to clean it.  If I'm going to do a mouse skull I need to figure out a different method.

Small mason jar of water, screw the lid shut, wait a few weeks, shaking daily.  On a windy day, pour it out into a bucket of fresh water, scrub with a toothbrush gently.  Peroxide and bleach as normal, but go very lightly. Oh, and wear rubber gloves or else everything you eat for a month will smell like rotting mouse a$$.