Author Topic: shoot THROUGH the center bow, now with complete build pics BROKEN/FIXED!!!  (Read 25134 times)

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
Re: shoot THROUGH the center bow?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 08:48:50 pm »
I did one about 1996, it was Honey Locust from Texas and the hole was 1-1/2" dia. the entire knot was a good 3", so it was very strange looking. I padded the bottom of the hole and used it as an arrow rest, it was60#'s @ 28" and one side of the hole cracked after a couple of hundred shots and a fellow from Texas wanted it as a wallhanger, so as far as I know it still is. There was no problem with arrow passage. I'm not Chuck.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 09:52:23 pm »
There have been a few companies  make tradbows that were shot thru a hole in the middle but I have not used them so I dont know what difficulties  they had, but don't  think it was arrow pass problems.
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 10:17:49 pm »
 Just seems like the hole thing/whole thing would get in my line of sight...Don't know? But I'm a gap shooter now... This is an interesting thread though... :laugh:
                                                                                                                   Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 10:24:07 pm »
Pat might be thinking of Chris Tindall, I think his username was bowmonkey, from the early to mid 2000's
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 11:04:05 pm »
The stats on this bow are 64.25" ttt, 1 3/8" out the fades ( except the upper limb knot, its 1" on the inside and 1/4" on the outside ) and 1 inch wide most its length. The billets were kinda skinny,  I never made a bow so narrow. Unsure what kind of tiller to go for here.

From the knot, whick is the fade on the upper limb, to tip is 28" so I have plenty room to shorten it or recurve it ( which I wanna do ). The goal is 50#@26". The billets were glued so the string falls down the center of the knot hole. With off center tips by about 1/2" can a recurve be done or will the torque twist the limbs?

At floor bending I can feel the handle give very slightly. Being spliced billets with a scarf joint I dont want the joint to work in the handle. Probably gonna glue a piece of wood on to stiffen it up. Its 1.25" wide and an inch deep, 7" long between the inside of the fades. If I just glue on a pice of wood think it will pop off?

Edit after doing some tillering I shortened it to 60.5" long.  It came out to 40#@26".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:31:04 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 11:06:45 pm »
Pat might be thinking of Chris Tindall, I think his username was bowmonkey, from the early to mid 2000's
Chris Tindall was Bowkinn, Russell Barton was bowmonkey. ;)

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 12:27:36 am »
I searched both guys and any pics have been deleated by admin.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 07:19:43 am »
Chris Tindall was Bowkinn, Russell Barton was bowmonkey. ;)

Thanks Pat, I realized after that Chris was not bowmonkey but I still couldn't remember his username.  I think Russell's last name was Bartlow, I picked up a pile of stuff from him when he went out of business.  Russell never did register an account on this new board but Chris did and then disappeared, again.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 12:35:12 am »
Well guys, heres an update.  I got it tillered out and shot it once. I need to go to the dentist now. I think I lost a filling. No it didnt break but man alive I need to thin down them tips some. Ouch! Hand shock to the extreme.  I shortened it too from 64" to 60.5" with the lower limb shorter by 1.5" to allow the hole in the handle to be center.

The arrow I shot didnt have a head on it and it was cut a bit short from the head having been broke off. Im going to narrow the tips down and recurve them gently. I like them to be where the string almost touches but not quite. More of an extremely reflexed tip than recurved.

I took pics the whole way through the build but I dont know how to get from my phone to the thread?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 10:23:55 am »
... but I dont know how to get from my phone to the thread?
If you bang the phone very hard against the computer screen.... it won't work, but you'll feel better :o
Del :laugh:
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 10:48:14 am »
Sleek, that's awesome! Can't wait to see it!

If you have a smart phone then you can get a free photo bucket app and post your pics from there. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 11:32:40 am »
  Sleek, You gotta get some pics up man, You can't be doing us like that >:D
                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 12:54:19 pm »
Well id like to get pics up... I really would. I have made lots of bows lately and haven't posted a one because idk how. I have a galaxy s3 and the photobucket app but I dont see the img link to copy and paste.

Im gonna narrow down and flip the tips today and get some more pics. I documented the entire build with pics, including my ( I think ) unique handle splice method. However,  my wife just told me no pics until im done completely with it :(

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 01:50:13 pm »
Well id like to get pics up... I really would. I have made lots of bows lately and haven't posted a one because idk how. I have a galaxy s3 and the photobucket app but I dont see the img link to copy and paste.

Im gonna narrow down and flip the tips today and get some more pics. I documented the entire build with pics, including my ( I think ) unique handle splice method. However,  my wife just told me no pics until im done completely with it :(
Scroll to bottom of screen and  click on full site. Can get img links there.
Steve Bennett

Offline sleek

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 07:54:10 pm »
I am trying to figure it out...
 In the meantime, I reflexed the tips and wow is it sexy. I shot it about 20 times. I have shot it off my hand, arrow goes left, and I have shot it through the hole, arrow goes right.  I adjust the brace from 6 to 7 inches. It tightened it up some but not much. Its so bad I actually missed the target once. I dont miss that bad! Gonna play with spine next.

As for shooting style, I shoot instinctive, actually instinctive. I shoot best in the dark when I dont get distracted by trying to aim. Point is, the arrow in the hole shouldnt be messing with me. Im confused, but if I can get an arrow and this bow tuned to each other,  im going to fall in love.