Author Topic: Handle length  (Read 2075 times)

Offline DC

Handle length
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:47:03 pm »
Since you're supposed to hold the bow between your thumb and forefinger is there a reason that handles are 4" long? Why not a 1" handle?  This would allow narrowing of the bow for comfort(as opposed to a bendy handle) and save/move 3" of wood.

Offline bushboy

Re: Handle length
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:13:38 pm »
I like to shoot with my hand (pretty wide compared to the rest of me)low on the handle with about 3/4" max above center,so I have I like a 5"handle for a stiffly.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:46:35 pm »
I don't believe there's any real way you "supposed"  to hold or shoot a bow. There's all sorts of styles.
I hold the bow with my thumb and first 2 fingers. I usually make bendy handle bows for myself, with 2-3" handles, but only slightly narrower than the bow.  If the bow is for someone else I make a  4" handle.
I'm sure a 1" handle would work, but you'd need a real awkward thick spot in the belly.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:49:45 pm by wizardgoat »

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:28 pm »
Yea idc I'll stick to 4 inch Handle with 1 1/2" fades. I make them that way because it looks good and has never caused me any problems. A 1 inch Handle would be wierd looking and probably uncomfortable.
I like osage

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 01:24:24 am »
I have at least two bows with this idea.  But they do not narrow for just an inch or so at the handle.  Instead they are full width, no fades.  But I basically hold them with just finger strength, pulling against my thumb.  I sort of squeeze the bow from it's sides.  The handles do move just a little though.  I like shooting them and they shoot great.  Both are short.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 06:40:52 am »
With my XL bear paw hands, don't make me a bow with at 1" handle, thank you very much.
Drew - Boone, NC