Author Topic: Wood bleeding  (Read 2272 times)

Offline DC

Wood bleeding
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:50:10 pm »
I put Kingwood tips on my new bow and tried my new pitch/methanol varnish. The color from the Kingwood bled all over the bow. I'd heard that you use shellac to stop bleeding so after re-sanding everything I tried shellac. It bled Kingwood color everywhere. Any idea how to stop this?

Offline dane lund

Re: Wood bleeding
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:24:56 pm »
Just seal it. It's going to take a couple of good coats of a good shellac, lacquer, or varnish to seal up the grain.
Then it will stop.

In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:24 pm »
Never messed with kingwood. But paduk and cocobolo wood is really oily and its done the same to me on projects other than bows. I always wipe the heck out of the wood with a paper towel with some acetone on it before glueing it to any other wood. You will go through multiple paper towels. Keep going until the towel is almost clean, takes a long time though. Seems to work for me, but I've top coated with oil after, such as teak, tru oil or some type of oil finish. Hope that helps.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »
I've wiped id down with acetone and applied a thin coat of super glue to the complete surface to seal on oily woods. never worked with kingwood either, but I think the SG would work.   ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:37:57 pm »
I think Superglue is considered ideal for sealing tropical woods as a first coat. Epoxy also works very well.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:58 pm »
I've glued the tips on with CA, no problem. After I glue them on I shape them. This exposes fresh wood. When I try to shellac(to seal it) I get a bright pinkish purple stain. I would try to wipe it with acetone before shellac but I'm afraid that would bleed just as bad. I put a small piece in a container of alcohol and in less than 15 seconds the alcohol looked like red wine. I guess try a water based finish. It's going to take a bit of sanding, the stain has soaked into the Ocean Spray.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 10:15:08 pm »
Shape your tips then rub superglue on them. Like a finish. It's buffs out nice. Do a couple coats and steel wool in between. Then the poly won't make the wood oils run. Oily woods are sealed well with super glue
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »
There ya go! I knew someone would nail it. I went out and tried it just now. Worked great and I didn't even let it set up long enough.
Thanks Blaflair2

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:53:02 pm »
Well others said it. I just said my process
Nothing ventured nothing gained