Author Topic: A couple of recurves  (Read 8874 times)

mikekeswick

Re: A couple of recurves
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 01:33:47 am »
I promise i'll get the FD photos today! My car's timing belt decided to snap at the weekend...so i've been a bit busy trying to source a new engine....
Thanks so much for all the nice comments. Once I get the photos i'll answer all the questions, my new dog is squeaking at me to be taken out for a run and I can't concentrate right now!

mikekeswick

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 03:48:03 am »

How's that! Still in a rush though no time for answers.... ::)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 05:24:41 am »
Beautiful, both but especially # 2 . ;) :) Them have got to be smooth draw and sweet shooters. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gaur

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:57 am »
Sweet looking bows Mike.  Sorry about the engine troubles.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »
Beautiful, both but especially # 2 . ;) :) Them have got to be smooth draw and sweet shooters. :)
  Pappy
+1

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 04:37:41 pm »
I like em both.  Great work!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline bubby

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 08:13:55 pm »
real nice, the bottom is nails, I think the top limb on the first f/d is stiff mid, hope ya get the car rolling
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:32 pm »
Sexy curves!!  I had the same thought as bubby, as that libur 8)num looks to be bending heavy in the inner limbs, but if it is holding that much reflex, then enjoy that super smooth drawing recurve!!!

Like others have said, your leatherwork really sets them off.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

mikekeswick

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2014, 02:26:50 am »
Hi and thanks again.  :)
simson - I backed it because I intend to learn the thumb draw properly this winter and this bow was made to handle a 29 or so draw. Yes the sinew is very thin so it probably isn't doing much at my normal mediterranean draw of 26.
Okie64 - Yes I did stain it but then buffed most of it off again so that it just makes the grain stand out.
Bubby/Carson I know what you are saying but if you look at the unbraced and braced pics the upper limb has more reflex than the lower in the mid/outer limb (shoddy heat gun work!) so it always looked stiff. It showed no set at all inner limb during tillering but the outer took a bit, so I guess it isn't as bad as it looks. That's the other thing with heating these sort of shapes in ...if you don't get them perfectly match limb to limb then full draw always looks a bit wonky. Anyway that's my excuse and i'm sticking with it  ;) ;)

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 04:10:45 am »
Both beautiful bows Mike.

Dean