Author Topic: Some advice for a noob  (Read 2053 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Some advice for a noob
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:41:03 pm »
hey guys, im pretty new to flint knapping. looking for a little advice.
I live in vancouver, there is some knappable rock in my area im sure, but heat treating isnt really an option for me
in the city.  glass butes oregon is maybe a 10-12 hour drive, maybe my closest option for free rock that doesnt need heating.
Is there cheap-ish options for obtaining good quality rock in bulk?
If there is could someone PM me? cheers

Offline bubby

Re: Some advice for a noob
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:14:34 pm »
goat you can buy a turkey roaster for twenty bucks and cook your rock in it, that's what I do
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 05:22:37 pm »
I do all my rock cooking in a turkey roaster. The first secret in cooking rock is to not get it too hot. It will convert some mean stuff to nice rock.

WA

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:26:13 pm »
I also use a turkey cooker. I put sand with the blanks to keep the heat consistent, although I've heard some controversy over if that is necessary. Besides that glass is a good alternative to begin chipping with.
         KB

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:32:12 pm »
i found a turkey roaster on my local selling site. says it goes to 450 degrees, and porcelain cookwell, 18 quart. is that the one i want?

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:43:32 am »
That will work, you don't need the sand I used to use it but it seems to work better without, don't use the liner pan and it actually gets hotter than 450 start at 200 for a day, then up 50 an hour till you top out leave it on hi two days then ramp it down the same way

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:11:11 am »
I agree with Bubby, but the rock I cook does not need 2 days at max temp. I usually hold the max temp 18-24 hrs. I always use sand. My unconfirmed opinion is that the sand helps distribute the heat evenly and keeps the cool down steady. To cool it down, I just turn it off and leave it closed till my long stem thermometer shows the interior temp to be 125 F or less. That is always at least 16 hrs. Keep in mind that different rocks take different temps and different holding times at max temp. You are almost certain to explode a few batches till you get a little experience.

WA

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:28:08 am »
Most of what I cook is texas rock, agate and mookite all take a hi heat to do much
with but hell some of these yahoos can knap that stuff raw :laugh: