Author Topic: emerald ash borer?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
emerald ash borer?
« on: November 19, 2014, 11:16:21 pm »
I was just making a round cross section ash bow and was quite far along when I noticed those bug tunnel marks not only on the back but also on the belly in two places. I was a little depressed but decided to keep going to see what happened. I ended up with a 64" bow that draws 90# @28" and it shows no signs of weakness.
 Has anybody else noticed that these evil little bugs wiping out ash in America does not spell doom for a bow stave?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: emerald ash borer?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 05:20:41 pm »
Chuck, this summer I got lots of borers in my ash staves.I have made several out of those infected staves some did hold, some not esp. those with wide limbs with only two or three growth rings at the limbs. One exploded at fulldraw with a loud bang and a cloud of white borer powder in the air.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline eponym

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:26:57 pm »
I'm in eastern Ontario and yes the borers are wiping out the trees. The ash on my property is all dying. There's one or two trees that still look good that I plan to cut down come spring.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:29:03 pm »
The emerald ash borer is yet another example of the benefit of foreign imports. That and Dutch elm disease, the chestnut blight, walnut medflies. Ain't diversity great!
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:42:02 pm »
Let's see that bow chuck! Name her worm hole

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:55:59 am »
I have done several bows with borer holes still in them but not ash borer as most were Hickory
I just figured it was testimony to the fact that I really do over build my bows
Sometimes you just have to plan around what you have, or in other words listen to the wood it will tell you what it wants !
one bow was so riddled we called it Beetle Juice
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !