Author Topic: WHAT IS IT CALLED?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Academonicon

WHAT IS IT CALLED?
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:44:20 pm »
Hey bowyers, I need help - I need to know what a particular thing is called, and I can't figure it out.

The thing is a sort of bench/stool with a mechanism to hold a piece of wood.  The bench thing itself is usually made of wood, and you put a log/stave/board/plank into a slot in front of the seat, so that when you're sitting on the seat, you're facing one end of the stave, and from there you can use a draw-knife or hand-plane or whatever to scrape layers off the stave.  It seems to use the weight of the stave and some kind of block-on-a-joint to hold the stave in place.  WHAT IS THIS CALLED?  I need one, but I can't build it or buy it until I know how to look for it.

Offline lostarrow

Re: WHAT IS IT CALLED?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:15:03 pm »
Shave horse

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 05:24:30 pm »
If you want the high tech version check out Keenans stavemaster.  I copied and pasted the link from the advertisers page.

http://www.stavemaster.com/#!

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
You would be better off with a stave press or a stavemaster as compared to a shave horse
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:27:14 pm »
You're all heroes!  Thank you!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »
I have one of Keenan's Stave Master and it is by far the best bow bench I can imagine. I've had a wooden shaving horse for years but since I got my Stave Master I haven't used my shaving horse.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:25:47 pm »
Coopers bench

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:33:05 pm »
I made a shave horse this summer and it changed everything.  it really helps.  Because your foot holds the clamping mechanism, the harder you pull, the harder your foot holds the work for  you.