Author Topic: Dumb drawknife question  (Read 5549 times)

Offline Lucasade

Dumb drawknife question
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:30:44 pm »
I was under the impression that drawknives are agressive tools and can remove pounds of wood quite quickly. I've been reducing a yew stave and in about 3 hours work I've filled a wine box with shavings. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to realign my expectations/learn to use a hatchet? It seems to be acting more like a scraper a lot of the time, and I've started using my billhook like a drawknife to speed things up a bit.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Dumb drawknife question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »
For fast, heavy wood removal use the draw knife with the bevel up. For a more controlled cut use the bevel down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »
And keep your drawknife sharp with the back absolutely flat.  I've seen some people use their drawknife for a scraper but you won't find me doing that.  That's what cabinet scrapers are for.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:01:22 pm »
I just spent some time with a drawknife and a full size yew stave and had it reduced to bow dimensions in less than 5 minutes.  So no, you arent mistaken, the drawknife can remove a lot of wood fast.  I almost never use the hatchet.  Drawknife works plenty fast for me.

However, Knots in yew wood can really slow your drawknife down, especially if your stave has lots of them. If that is the case, keep a course wood rasp handy or a farrier's rasp and knock the knots down with the rasp between drawknifing.

Last thing, your stave has to be secured so that it does not budge every time you pull the drawknife.  A solid bench vise mounted to a solid bench, or a stavemaster bench is great. Stave press is good too.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 02:58:42 am »
I've been finding with the bevel down (flat side up) it digs in so I've only been using bevel edge up.

I've tried to keep it sharp and I'm not scraping with it, but it's generally taking very fine shavings and leaving an almost polished finish on the wood. It's a bit better on the sapwood (takes off a mm or so) than the heartwood.

I'm currently using a Black & Decker Workmate (don't have a workshop so I'm in the garden or kitchen). I've got the stave strapped to it with a ratchet strap and I brace against my body weight. It's not ideal certainly but after March I'll have access to shave horses and a brilliant waist level vice on a Tudor farm I volunteer at.

I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong drawknife? I got it second hand off Ebay so maybe the edge while it feels sharp isn't so good?

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 04:48:00 am »
All good points raised above.
I keep my drawknife sharp enough to ping hairs off my arm, if it isn't sharp then you have to put more effort in to get the same result - more effort = less accuracy and you get tired quicker. Granted they don't really need to be that sharp but you get what i'm saying.
I did the workmate thing to start with but you really do need a completely solid vice/bench set up to use a drawknife to it's full potential. Or to look at it another way a solid bench makes it easier to learn the tool.
Personally if I was using workmate for clamping then I would be using an axe for stave reduction. Again super sharp is the key.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 08:59:52 am »
I keep it sharp and use it bevel up. You can remove more wood by varying the angle of attack. The steeper the attack the more wood is removed. Vice versa.

Takes a little practice but you'll get it.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lenador

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 09:16:47 am »
I had me er used a draw knife in my life until.I began making my first bow and it was a steep learning curve to say the least. But now I find my self enjoying the use of the draw knife.
 I too wasn't getting much wood removal but once I learned how.I could flip the bevel and vary my angle I was zooming along.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:58:52 am »
  My draw knife will work pretty fast, its the drawer that seems to be slowing down! Your speed will pick up as you gain physical conditioning to that particular kind of work and experience using the tool. I took several months off and it slowed me way down comming back.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:06:36 am »
  its the drawer that seems to be slowing down!
I hear ya loud and clear!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:47 pm »
Thank you very much everyone - lots of sound advice and I'm glad I'm not imagining things. I've got plenty of wood to practice on so I'll have the hang of it by the time I'm cutting stuff that needs to be right. I don't mind hard work but futile exercises aren't my thing!

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 02:22:47 pm »
You might try tying the workmate to your truck or something else that's heavy.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 02:24:11 pm »
There's a thought...

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 06:31:24 pm »
May try standing it up against a tree and pulling down with the drawknife.pretty sure you will note a difference. Good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 09:12:30 pm »
  My draw knife will work pretty fast, its the drawer that seems to be slowing down!

Sorry to hear things are slowing down in your drawers, Badger.

Having the wood clamped solid and immoveable will help.  Is the cutting edge of the blade good and sharp? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.