Author Topic: need to make some backing strips  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
need to make some backing strips
« on: November 18, 2014, 04:50:30 pm »
Have IPE and Osage boards that are hollering to be turned into bows.  Thought was to back one with white oak or ash and other with hickory and Perry Reflex them.
Can cut backing strips with my table saw.  But in previous attempts have not been pleased with strips' thickness consistency ... both from side-to-side and end-to-end.
Don't own bandsaw or jointer or thicknesser.
What options should I consider for getting consistent backing strip thickness??
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Dvshunter

Re: need to make some backing strips
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 05:01:09 pm »
Micheal i have had good luck just using my circular saw and my fingers for a guide. If they arent perfectly even i can always rasp and sand them to the exact thickness i want.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:03:15 pm »
I have an electric hand planer I dont use. Im sure you could rig something up if you were interested.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »
A flat board and a couple of strips of the coarse floor sander sheets from HD .  Peel the backing and stick them down so the whole board surface is covered. Work the strips along and across this. Pretty quick and you can control things very well.
 Here's my "belt sander".

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:08:52 pm by PatM »

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:01:51 pm »
I think the table saw is the best tool for the job.  Sharp blade, feather boards on in feed and out feed, and solid fence should do you just fine.  Any slight thickness inconsistency with that kind of setup should clean up easily with sand paper or with PatMs belt sander :-)

I would cut my backing strip a little long so I could cut the ends off and would want my backing strip to be on the outside of the blade (not between the blade and fence) to avoid excessive burning if your saw is not tuned perfectly.

What was the nature of the trouble you had in the past? 

Russ

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:23:26 pm »
  Featherboards really help.

Some old time fiberglass or wood lam bowyers used to put stick- on sandpaper right to the blades of a tablesaw.  And if you are gonna be ripping hickory and oak, you need a SHARP blade. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:45:16 pm »
I was considering the value of feather boards.  Been meaning to make a pair for LONNNG time.  Need for good quality strips is finally a project that could likely benefit from their use.
The couple times I attempted ripping the strips I had smallish blade in saw.  So had to cut approx half through, flip board, and cut rest way through.  And no feather boards.  Not good setup to max odds of success . . . . .   :-[
So, gonna invest in new blade, make couple feather boards, and, triple check that all is square.  Then, depending on results, consider the red-neck belt sander.   :D

Thanks much to all for the inputs!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857