Author Topic: twisted stave worth the effort?  (Read 3533 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
twisted stave worth the effort?
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:16:08 pm »
Hello fellas I recently cut a few hazel branches which when split have yielded staves with severe prop twist. I'm wondering whether to persevere with these staves and try to steam out the twist at the floor tillering stage. I don't really want to go through the hassle of this but it was a lot of effort cutting, transporting and splitting the logs.
Are prop twisted staves worth spending anytime on? ???
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: twisted stave worth the effort?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:29:59 pm »
Up to 90 degrees prop twist usually isn't that big of a deal. You can steam or heat each limb separately and straighten it.

Some people even heat straighten 135 degree twist. For me...not so much. I dislike twist in general, and more than 90 degrees is a pain in the rear to deal with. But it can dealt with nonetheless, if you are patient and don't have straighter wood available.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »
The best way I've found is to have a setup that allows you to untwist it while it's still in the steam box. That way you get maximum temperature and you're not trying to rush. I hang a half gallon or so of water off a 2' strap wench. When the box reaches 180 degrees the water jug starts heading to the floor. You just sit there drinking your beverage of choice and watch it. When it gets to where you want it just shut off the steamer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:19:50 pm »
I just wrapped up a hop hornbeam flat bow that had a full 180 degrees of twist from tip to tip. I got it almost flat before I tillered it, worked great. I used dry heat over two sessions. Ive done the same with other woods.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 02:25:42 pm »
good advice from above,, prop twist is not a deal breaker most the time

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 04:16:55 pm »
I've just ignored the twist on some Hazel staves, the wood is so homogenous it doesn't seem to matter too much. Even flipped the tips on one such stave, they needed a bit of tweaking with heat to line 'em up. Heres a post about one...
bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/twisted-beltane-hazel.html
The subsequent post show how it turned out...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 05:07:36 pm »
Thanks as always fellas you give me confidence to persevere with what looks to be a good stave otherwise. I knew I could count on the PA tribe! :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb