Author Topic: Painting arrows  (Read 4011 times)

Offline OTDEAN

Painting arrows
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:33:27 pm »
Hi,

I am experimenting with paints for my arrows and bows.  For my arrows I find that acryllic paint just comes off when the arrow paradoxs against the bow.  I really want to personalise my gear, any suggestions on how to stop the paint coming off?  I also have painted the tips of my bows but find the string just wears the paint off, any suggestions on what do ?

Cheers
Dean

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Painting arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »
Dean, I've used Testers model paint for cresting arrows with good results and I've used interior house paint and Krylon spray paint for crown dips, all with good results. The testers is an oil based paint and will take a while to dry; overnight or so.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »
did you paint on top of a finish? i paint the raw wood, then either dip or spray a sealant on top in a few coats.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 03:06:43 pm »
I would do one dip before and one after the crown and cresting. I used water based satin poly to seal the shafts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 07:54:36 pm »
Why worry about the paint coming off where the bow rubs it?  That just shows that the arrows are getting used.  The arrows are for your enjoyment, why worry.  It's not like the arrows are going to last forever anyway.  Honest wear adds to the look.  I paint my arrows with acrylic paints, they do look a bit worn after a hundred shots or so but so what they are my arrows.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:02:16 pm »
I love me some painted arrows. I haven't found a cheap paint that will hold up for the long haul. I know of plenty types of two part epoxy paints that would hold up, but not trying to spend that much money just for arrows. Mostly cause I like to change colors often. Spray cans are about as good as it'll get, but they eventually come off too.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:09:08 am »
A buddy of mine uses the alliance epoxy paint with really good results. He uses the spray and the small bottles like finger nail polish. If you go to a paint supply store you can get dry pigment to mix in the small bottles. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:13:06 am »
May be good to try penetrating stain.

WA