Author Topic: why does this bother me?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline beartail

why does this bother me?
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:56:24 am »
used to when ever I seen a really good point or blade it gave me encouragement and a desire to keep goin. but now it just makes me wanna stop knapping.have I gotten as good as ill ever get? or is it something else?have you ever gotten that way?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: why does this bother me?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:28:38 am »
Heck, quit whinning and start chipping ;) :D. I've had the likes of Shannon Walker,(Flintwalker), and Elijah,(Seminolewind) at my house when they didn't know how to chip $#*!. Look at them now and look at what I still chip. ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline beartail

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:15:10 am »
Lol!! I know right! I feel like im whinning! but damnit! im confidant I can make a point that will take meat.I guess I should be happy with that huh?i know platforms, angles, grinding, tools, tekneaque , all that and I just stay mediocre.gimini Christmas!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:52:24 am »
Actually I think you are in a good situation.
Like me, you have plenty of room to improve lol
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »
Practice. I have been learning for 14 years now. Always something new to learn and try. I am a junk man.  I like to take stuff folks throw away and see if I can get points out of it. That way I do not have to maees anything up that I do not want to. After my last knapping event I ended up with a 35 gal can of "practice" material.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »
Been knapping 17 years now and I stiiiill butcher rocks left and right. And I have to pay for all my rock here in Illinois...
People that learn this craft quickly are witches  ;)

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 01:26:17 pm »
I find that I need to change things up from time to time. I prefer working from a spall to a finished piece all in one sitting. Sometimes I will sit down and make some bifaces or pick up some pressure slabs and make on from that or even take some time off and mess around with one of my other hobbies. I also live in an area that knappable rock is rarer than hens teeth so I have to make do with what I can buy at the knap-ins and conserve material.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 03:16:30 pm »
I have gotten stalled several times, and after taking a rest of a few weeks or monthe, I attack it with a new perspective. That has helped me a lot.

WA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 04:18:05 pm »
Micki, the point you sent me about ten years ago on an arrow was really sweet. I still have it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:26 pm »
Eddie, I hear ya about that Shannon dude, One day he's pressure flaking glass and the next he's making Pinetree that are to kill for , perfect and thin as a potato chip. If your listening Shanon stop by here once and while and say hey. How about his last years Classic Johnny stone point :o :o ;D Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 06:36:41 pm »
Yep, Bob, I know what you mean. When he was here turkey hunting I showed him how to pressure flake glass with a Clorox bottle bottom, and now look what he does.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:47:09 pm »
So all I have to do is take a trip to Florida and spend a little time with eddie in his knappin pit and I can Knapp like Shannon and Seminole wind, Eddie do you live at the same crossroads where robert Johnson sold his soul >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 10:55:54 pm »
LOL ;D ;D >:D Bring rock when you come.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline beartail

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 11:27:35 pm »
allright yaw !!! I was first in line,no cutting!! he hee! thanks everyone this has helped me feal a little better and are some good ideas.Eddie  I cant believe you sill got a arrow I made way back then.post a pick of it if you get a chance.id really like to see it again.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 11:51:05 pm »
I showed him how to pressure flake glass with a Clorox bottle bottom, and now look what he does.

I am only thinking about knapping some bottle glass.  What do you use clorox bottles for?  are they glass or something to protect a hand?