Author Topic: Sharpening files and rasps  (Read 2816 times)

Offline DC

Sharpening files and rasps
« on: November 05, 2014, 04:29:11 pm »
There is a few youtube vids showing how to sharpen files and rasps. Has anyone done this? Does it work? I know I can send them to Boggs but I live north of the border and the freight, not to mention custom hassles, make that less than attractive.

Offline DC

Re: Sharpening files and rasps
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:21:17 pm »
OK. I tried it myself and it seems to work. I used Dupont metal conditioner http://hazard.com/msds/f2/bbq/bbqhp.html  Which is phosphoric acid and chromic acid. Put it in a piece of 1 1/2" ABS with a cap on the bottom. I cleaned the file with lacquer thinner and then soap and water. Maybe it was just the good cleaning that did it but I don't think so. I'm going to do more files with some kind of before and after test(Yet to be determined)

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:43:06 am »
Keep us posted.  I have a couple that could use some "touching up." ::)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 10:35:32 am »
I did them for another night. They feel really sharp. Kind of stick to your hand sharp. One had a few aluminum bits stuck to it. I thought the acid would eat that up. It didn't. They have to be clean. More later.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 02:40:50 pm »
Ed Scott told me he uses Muriatic acid to sharpen his.

I have not tried it myself yet.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 05:37:11 pm »
I was going to use muriatic but I couldn't find it.  That's what I get for cleaning up my shop. So I used the phosphoric and it worked great. I am going to get some muriatic to do the rest of my files.  I think it will be a lot faster. Some of my files were my father's and were just tossed in a box for fifty years. Once I get them sharpened I will treat them better. Anyway it's definitely worth doing.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:46:54 pm »
Good info-- Thanks for posting it.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 06:40:48 pm »
Should be able to get muriatic acid from home depot or anybody that deals with concrete products.. Might be called grout cleaner... Bricklayers use it by the drum
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano