Author Topic: 2015 Classic  (Read 17468 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

2015 Classic
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:37:27 am »
I know its early, but I am thinking and hoping to make the Classic.  Will be coming by myself as either my wife or myself has to stay home to do the chores on long trips.  Am wondering what to bring for donations and trade items?  If I know this far in advance the long winter could be a time for making some things to bring.  This has been a crazy year with lots of rain early and thru the summer so our hills are covered with tall grass and the elk are still in the high country.  I have three cow elk tags so I could possibly bring one for Pappy's freezer if he has room!  I have a moose hide cut into three pieces in the salt and a fairly large set of elk horns and lots of cutup elk horn for projects.  I could make some rifles slings and canteens.  Hope to have a couple of items for the "Spirit Station" as well.  Don't know what JW has for plans for his trip, but it would be possible to scale the big mountains to South Dakota and make him help drive.  Now wouldn't that be a hoot?  Any suggestions on what to bring would be appreciated.  We have a couple of really nice big bucks in the yard and no way except email to send pictures.  So many new people on here that I would like to meet!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Zuma

Re: 2015 Classic
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:42:31 pm »
What a good idea. I don't think anything on your list would be unwanted.
Maybe some Mackinaw skins for bows if you can get some.
There is a thread on elk hooves. Elk antler makes exellent obsidian billets
and knife handles.
Rock hunting is rough when you are trying to make time traveling.
Knowing if members have some on hand and they are on your route could
give you a good oppurtunity to get quality knapping material. Pipestone etc.
You could trade for it if all arrangements are made in advance.
You should be going through some good areas. Many  like large deer antlers for
 billets and knife handles.
Zuma
If you can downsize your photos you can post them easier right here
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:24:41 pm »
  Thanks for your ideas.  I have lots of rock from my old knapping days and could bring some of that.  I have 29 or so issues of "CHIPS" and some Waldorf stuff.  I have a barn full of elk, moose, and whitetail horns but my supervisor will not give me permission to trade them!  Also have some hides and parts of hides hair on of some African antelope.  I have a box full of notes from J B Solberger and plans for his jig he sent to me.  I don't know what to do with them as they should go to some knapping historian.  Please excuse me for looking forward to the Classic, but I really missed it last year!  Joe

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 01:31:07 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing you again Joe.  You missed a great classic last year.  Beautiful weather most of the week.  It seems each classic is just a little better than the last.  I'm sure any of your work will be a hit on the raffle table.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:59:34 pm »
Joe;

Glad you are going to make it. I look forward to seeing you, my friend. I could probably rustle up something to trade for those Chips magazines and Waldorf, stuff. If James Parker shows up the Solberger plans and Jig would be perfect for the Schiel Museum in NC where James does demostration's of ABO Knapping.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 12:04:01 am »
Woody Blackwell had a JB jig with him when I first met him years ago.
He is back east now and he may have an idea about the plans.
Eddie do you know Rocky Culbertson? I met him at the NC wildlife expo
at lake Wheeler in Raleigh in Sept. I am sure he knows James.
I had a great chat with DC last year at Flint Ridge.
I bought his Art of Flintknapping back in the 80's at the Natches Mounds.
My only formal training lol Those issues are cool just for Valerie's illustrations.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:56:26 am »
sorry for the stupid question, when is the classic? if theres many classics, when is the biggest and best one?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 07:38:10 am »
Just one I know of wizard and it is always the first full weekend of May. This year it will be the 1/2/3 of May. 18th annual Tennessee Classic, Joe glad to here you are planning on making it back. Missed you last year. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 02:39:08 pm »
Is it ever too early to start thinking about the Tennessee Classic???
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »
Zoom, I don't think I've met Rocky Culbertson. I've only met a few Rocky's over the years and I don't think he is one of them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 03:49:10 pm »
JW, never too early. I started thinking about the 2015 Classic on my way home from the 2014 Classic.
 Joe, looking forward to seeing you again. Are you gonna bring Hawk with you? Definitely bring JW along for the long ride.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 04:20:40 pm »
I am glad to hear your coming Joe.we missed ya last spring.i say make one of those nice rifle slings.maybe I can win it this time. :)
Middletown,Ohio

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 04:40:07 pm »
I think you could about command your price for one of them rifle slings. Make a couple and I will try to swindle ya out of one. So glad to hear youre making plans, lookin forward to sitting around the pit with you again!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 08:43:15 pm »
sorry for the stupid question, when is the classic? if theres many classics, when is the biggest and best one?

Goat, here is a link to some pictures from the 2014 Classic.  It's a place like no other.  Hundreds of people camp and hang out.  There is bow building, music, target ranges, food, vendors, and great southern hospitality.  Each year new people show up wanting to make their own bow and after a couple of days and help from guys like Matt Wirwicki, Gary Davis, Davey, and many more great teachers they leave with a finished selfbow.  Its the one event I will never miss as long as I can help it.  I'd pawn my wedding ring for gas money if I had to.  The wife would understand, hopefully  ;D

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44433.390.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 05:03:47 am »
Forgot to mention that I have the moose brains to tan the hides and the leg sinues.  Maybe should just make rawhide out of the skins for drum covers.  I haven't seen Hawk for a few weeks as he has been working out of town so don't know if he will be coming or not!  In the old days I used to go to a lot of knapins around the country and was always made to feel like an outsider and the same way at sky diving places.  Was really surprised when I drove down the hill to the classic.  As I was getting out of my truck one of the members met me with a big hand shake and that is when I knew this was a special place with fantastic people.  Lots of talent and everyone willing to share their knowledge and skills. Pappy has created something beyond special! The gun slings are not a problem and if anyone has an idea for a pattern let me know.  Two degrees and a foot of snow so the elk hunting should be heating up.  Hope your day goes well.  Joe