Author Topic: Black locust?  (Read 5176 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Black locust?
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:33:54 pm »
Went to check some trail camera's today. And talked to the lady that owns the land I hunt on. She asked me if I could use a couple black locust trees that was in the edge of her yard. I said sure, so she showed them to me. They are about 3" across, lots of thorns of course, and straight enough to work with.

My question is, do you think k they are big enough around? If so should I dry them whole? Could I split them, probably for a bendy or glue on handle?
She wants them cut out and I told her I would take them if I could use them. What's your thoughts or reservations? Thanks, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Black locust?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:49:15 pm »
Are the thorns on the trunk Patrick? If so that would be honey locust. Either way at only 3" diameter you would be making a sapwood backed bow, likely very little heartwood in there. I haven't worked with honey locust and with black locust I have only done heartwood backed selfbows, although others have done sapwood backs. Any small diameter staves that I cut I seal the ends and leave in the round for a few weeks or more then split in half. I have a couple small diameter BL staves seasoning now that I will eventually try a sapwood backed bow from. You may want to try that.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 10:12:16 pm »
Yes sir, the thorns are all really way down the tree. All the way round the ground. So that would make it honey locust.

With a sapwood backed bow. Should I treat it like white wood? The back being just under the bark? Also would they make a good sinew backed bow?  Thanks, Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:37:42 pm »
Are you sure black locust won't have thorns on the smaller trunks? Ours does up here although that's probably in a sucker scenario where the trunks aren't initially sure if they are a branch or a tree. The thorns seem to get pushed out by the bark and are just sitting on the surface with no real anchor to the trunk.
 The two species really don't resemble each other  much, nor are they related closely.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 11:03:05 pm »
Young black locust has thorns on the trunk. It's pretty east to tell them apart from the leaves and pods. Don't let them go to waist. I have a little locust tree bow. Took off a couple rings of sap then left the rest. So far it shoots fine. Worst case is you have some fine light weight bows.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 11:05:42 pm »
And yes sinew should take the tension

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 12:20:20 am »
Treat it like a white wood and just strip off the bark, don't mine the pin knots from the thorns, they don't go too deep. Honestly though, not a fan of honey locust at all. My bow took a bunch of set.
Springfield, MO

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:58:02 am »
The black locust I have seen has thorns on the saplings. There is a small stand on the edge of a city cemetery where I work. I got permission to cut a couple of the trees that have blown over and it is going to be a challenge getting to them through all of the small trees. They are like razor wire!  I'll try to post a pic today to see if they are what you are referring to.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 08:46:51 am »
I cut my bow making teeth  on BL. My first was made from a 2 inch sapling. 3 inches will be fine. BL, white flowers in spring,  is a heartwood which functions best with a heartwood back.

If there is not enough heartwood, then  chase a ring and get as close as you can to it.

Will be fine.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 11:53:49 am »
I had a 40# molle I made from a sapling about that size. Yes the sapling had thorns down the trunk, and yes I split it and the bow has a bendy handle. Made a good gift, shot well, lots of crown but locust can take it ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 03:19:02 pm »
Thanks fellas! I'll post a picture of it when I get it cut.  It will probably be a week or so. Patrick

Offline oscar3b

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:59:10 am »
I have a ton of black locust around my house and anything that small has thorns all the way down it.  I haven't tried anything that didn't have massive knots and end up breaking, but it took a lot more stain than any wood should have too before it broke so I don't have a bad opinion of it.  I wouldn't back it with anything seeing as it is such a tension heavy wood.  If she is going to cut it anyway I say go for it.  It can't hurt to try it. 
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 07:47:19 pm »
I cut a 5-6" stave this afternoon, myself. I Think the two halves will make two good bows if I don't mess them up. I can't wait to start on a bow. I haven't built one yet but you have to start somewhere.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 08:32:17 pm »
Just to make sure we're not barking  up the wrong tree, this is black locust bark.

This is honey locust bark. The thorns branch.  Black locust thorns are single spikes.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 08:42:21 pm »
The one I'm going to cut looks like the bottom picture Jim. Patrick