Author Topic: draw length vs. bow length  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Jared C

draw length vs. bow length
« on: November 07, 2014, 05:07:23 pm »
Alright guys! I have short little stubby arms and my draw length is looking like it is about 24 inches. On my wheelie bow I'm pulling at 26 inches but I just did the ol' measuring stick to the chest and got a whopping two feet. When laying out my bow should I really only make it 60 inches?

Offline PatM

Re: draw length vs. bow length
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:13:09 pm »
I would make it even shorter.

Offline Jared C

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:15:03 pm »
That's what I was thinking, is a bow going to look funny at 52 inches? Am I going to be able to make it strong enough?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:22:25 pm »
It depends on what kind of bow your building, bendy, stiff handle it makes a difference
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:29:09 pm »
There is no reason you can't make a heavy bow that is shorter.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:34:24 pm »

I didn't say anything about poundage, several factors involved, bow building experience, bendy vs. rigid handle, you can safely build a bendy handled bow shorter than rigid handle with less build experience

Offline Jared C

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »
Well I did plan on making a stiff handle, that would account for the extra 10% length to the bow. Twice my draw would put me at 48 then another 5 inches or so. I just rarely see people posting about their sweet 52 inch bows. I was really only concerned with the practicality of a bow that short. If it can be done and done without compromising the wood then I'll be shaving down my stave here soon.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 06:44:28 pm »
Depends on the wood, etc. If this is your first, Jared, make it 60 inches ntn. JMO.
Check my site.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Jawge
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:48:37 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 06:46:16 pm »
I think a lot of folk think the longer the bow the more powerful it is,not so.the shorter the bow is the more it has to bend for the given drawlenght,there is a fine line between performance and overdoing it where the wood will fail in compression and become overly deformed(set).people pike their bows (cut an inch or two)off of each end to up the draw weight abit.hope that made sense. Good luck and enjoy the process!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Jared C

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:36 pm »
Jawge, it is Sycamore maple. You responded to my other post about the wood.
It isn't really my first bow but I have only had one successful bow to date. I've heard of shorting the bow to increase weight. It makes sense as well. I guess the reason I ask is because a lot of the reason I like primitive archery is because of how personal it is to make your own bow. If I make a bow that is better tailored for someone that draws 2 more inches than me, it doesn't seem as personalized. That being said I dont want to sacrifice my wood in the name of being just right for my t-rex arms.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 07:18:10 pm »

I didn't say anything about poundage, several factors involved, bow building experience, bendy vs. rigid handle, you can safely build a bendy handled bow shorter than rigid handle with less build experience
I was responding to his post, not yours.
 Jared,
 Sycamore Maple is not a strong wood. You'll need to make it longer or better still find some more suitable wood for a shorter bow.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 07:23:14 pm »
the length has zero to do with draw weight, now if you come in under weight by shortening/pikeing it you can raise the #'s but that is a different animal, check out osage outlaws bows clint draws I think a max 25" that may help, personally you can probably go under 60" but better to build a few first

Offline Jared C

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 07:30:03 pm »
If it is a risk at my skill level to go under 60 then it isn't worth it. I'll just stick to about 60 and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advice guys!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 07:55:37 pm »
60 inches will make a fine bow for a 24 inch draw,,,
if you are not quite sure what your draw is... ok the 60 inch bow will give you some extra if you need it,, it is possible that you will or can draw further if you want,,,see how that bow shoots,, if you dont like the length,, you can make it shorter or make another that is more suited to you,,there are so many variables with tiller ,, bow design etc, there is no one answer,,, but the 60 inches will work,, and as stated you could go shorter and get a good bow too,,, the 60 inch bow is a good starting point,,, this may be more info than you need,,, at this point, but the 60 bow might be a bit overbuil,, and that has it pluses,,the shorter bow might be a bit more sensitive to tiller and could possibly be more efficient (depending on tiller),, whip tiller the longer bow to compensate etc,,,just get started and you will find what works for you,,, less finger pinch on the longer bow,, better string angle,, unless you flip the tips on the short bow etc,, I shoot both short bows,, and long bows, and like both,, :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 10:24:51 am »
60 in gives you a better chance for success, Jared. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!