Author Topic: Knot in short Osage bendy handle advice needed.  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Tommytinker

Knot in short Osage bendy handle advice needed.
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:17:22 pm »
I've this short Osage stave 50" tip to tip. I wanted to try a bendy handle for the first time (as I seem to have an obsession with short bows, it is a skill I need to learn!). I've managed to avoid most knots in this stave wile roughing it out but can't do anything about this one:

The knot lies right in the middle and runs from back to belly, will this work as a bendy handle?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:33:12 pm by Tommytinker »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Knot in short Osage bendy handle advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:56:25 pm »
I would take an awl and clean out any punky wood.  Ensure that your back ring around it is unviolated, and then just build a bow.  don't know where that knot is on the bow, and that can matter, but in general just finesse your way thru the knot.  If it's in the handle, your golden.  Just leave enough width and thickness to keep it from bending to hard.  I have an osage bow with a finger size hole thru the handle, back to belly.  I filled it with Epoxy.  Never an issue.  Static handle btw.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:13:36 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:22:06 pm »
That's nothin just clean it up some and maybe soak some superglue into it
I like free stuff.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:45:22 pm »
just make sure you are to one growth ring,, and it should be fine,, you could take out the bad wood as suggested and fill with super glue and saw dust,, or epoxy,,,

Offline occupant

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:02:14 am »
Heat it with heatgun just enough that you can't touch it, mix some 5 minute epoxy and put on it while its still hot

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:49:20 am »
You can do as suggested and leave it a little flat right there while tillering.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:34:37 pm »
Sorry folks, but my thoughts are different. I would never fill a knot hole on the belly side, at least not with epoxi. Epoxi is a pretty stiff material, not made for compression. On the belly a stiff material causes the surrounding wood to compress even more, on osage perhaps no problem but sure with BL.

Why not let the hole be a hole - it adds nice character and looks much better than plastic with sawdust.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 03:57:58 pm »
the stave is osage,, either way will work,, :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 04:06:12 pm »
Id ignore it and build the bow as if it wasn't there, it would all bend the same. Its small, its solid and its osage.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 04:32:32 pm »
I did one just like you are asking about.  I left "a little island" of the last growth ring around the knot on the back and didn't touch it with anything else.  Bow shoots fine and is very healthy.  I wouldn't worry about it, either.
1’—>1’

Offline occupant

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 05:14:09 pm »
I guess I should elaborate on the heated epoxy. I have used it on osage and elm without a problem, these are the predominate woods I use.

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 11:49:02 am »
Thank you for all the advice! After all that, I've managed to avoid the knot all together while roughing the bow out. :)