Author Topic: Question aboute Yellow Balau wood..  (Read 2730 times)

Offline akila

Question aboute Yellow Balau wood..
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:30:02 am »
Hello guys...im trying this days to find a good and also cheap sourse of bow wood, but its not easey...im living in Munchen now, and everithing here is so expensive..aniway, i had the ideea to search on this Baumarkt shops, and i found something called Yellow Balau..they sell the thing as boards for making terrases outside...i dont know nothing aboute this wood...it seams its something exotic, quite hard, and i was thinking that maybe it would be apropiate to be backed with hickory or bamboo...anyone, has some experience with this wood??..thank you in advance :)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question aboute Yellow Balau wood..
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 09:51:44 am »
I don't know anything about it but it would be worth a try if not too expensive.
 Haven't seen you in a while. Welcome back. Munchen is in Germany, right?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:44:37 am »
Hello...yes, in Germany..i was bussy with moing here, and i didnt had time lately to go online and also to build bows, but maybe i will start soon...i talked to someone here that has a shop, and maybe he will let me use his shop from time to time..i wass looking for some decking materials, and usualy they sell massaranduba and Ipe, but aperently here, they sell more there two types..Bangkirai (yellow balau), and Garapa (Brazilian ash)...aboute Garapa i found some good reviews to say so..aparently its somehow the cheapest version of Ipe, but aboute this Bangkirai, i didnt found to much..aniway i will need hickory, or bamboo as backing, wich is also quite dificult to find here...a piece of bamboo , that was already prepared, and you can glue it already, costs 25 euros, and the transport, 15 euros...so, 40 euros wich is like 60 dollars i think...so, its not really cheap :). Thats why, i cannot really maked a bow, just to test it, to see how it goes...I  need to be sure, that the materials, are suitable for making bows..:)..maybe someone els will be able to give me some reviews aboute this 2 types of wood..it would be nice to hear moore also aboute this Garapa wood..:)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:59:38 am »
We have a few members from Germany; Simon and Frank. Maybe one of them can help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:07:23 pm »
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/balau/

This it?

Give it  a try if it's cheap, I see no red flags.
Springfield, MO

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:43:31 pm »
Chris,

I can relate to that--as a (retired) Federal employee.  😁

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!