Author Topic: Crete Mytrle  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Wobgnol

Crete Mytrle
« on: November 06, 2014, 06:28:36 pm »
I live inTampa Florida and we have Crete Myrtle. Trees all over. Is this wood any good in the eyes of a bowyer? I am really new at this and still working on my 1st board bow.

Offline half eye

Re: Crete Mytrle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 06:49:23 pm »
I've made several crepe myrtle bows, it's great wood. All the bows were really fast, little moisture issues after they were made. If your using smaller diameter stuff, I suggest that you saw them in half and make sure you clamp them straight while they dry out.  On some of the staves (say about 6" diameter or larger) I sawed out a 1" thick 1/4 sawn board from the middle and then dried the two halves for stave bows.

The bark on mine was really thin so be carefull when you peel it. Also if you leave the bark on it will not affect the bow, but it will give you several hundred "tick" heart-attacks >:D but after a few hundred shots it will stop (basically after all the bark is cracked). and you have developed a real good flinch in your release,eh?
rich

ps: mine came from south Georgia

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Crete Mytrle
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 12:57:23 pm »
it likes to warp to the side and doesnt like to bend back so make sure you strap it down.