Author Topic: A Goldmine of Sinew:  (Read 7395 times)

mikekeswick

Re: A Goldmine of Sinew:
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 02:52:55 am »
You're a lucky guy! I use loads of it and it gets pricey buying it here....

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 01:40:44 pm »
Next question for the house: I have read various threads and other material about storage.  Assuming I decide to put away far more if the stuff than I need for personal use--for trade or to share with those who are more industrious but less fortunate 😊, just cutting out and drying the tendons would be no great effort.  But I would prefer just to store and ship the dried tendons without pounding my brain into a bloody pulp.  What would be best--just store them dried or vacuum bag and freeze them? 

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 01:46:53 pm »
Away from dogs and other critters  :D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 03:30:47 pm »
That's very cool, never underestimate the power of sinew to just disappear if left unattended!
1’—>1’

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
I've just left mine sitting on the shelf in my shop(no dogs anymore) and it seems fine.

Stringman

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »
Same here, DC. Depends on humidity, but my sinew never gets sealed and it stores well (going on 3-4 years for some.)

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 12:49:28 pm »

jackcrafty,

I watched the bowstring videos too. Those were outstanding as well.  I do not hear well, and was viewing on an iPhone, but on the second video, I THINK you said it takes about three tendons for a string.  Is that correct?

Taking that particular string, what maximum poundage would you be comfortable pulling?  I wonder if anyone has ever tested the tensile strength of a sinew string like yours.

Also, what kind of knot do you use on the non-looped end?.

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

JacksonCash

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 03:39:58 pm »
I am willing to bet I could use a machine we have at work to do a tensile test on a sinew string...

Also, I'd back with linen or rawhide instead of the sheetrock tape. It'll look better.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 03:44:45 pm »
I don't know about the sinew. It's strong no doubt!
I did a reverse twist on some yucca I got from my brother in laws house. I made a piece about 3' long that had 1 Junction in it. It was my first try at joining like that. I took my string to work  and put it on the machine that they test the hoist cables on. We put about 650lbs on it when it started to frey it finally snapped right at 745lbs. With a little practice I think I could get it 1000lbs.

That rawhide is some strong stuff too! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 04:42:04 pm »
Semirelated. You guys know what the deer processors do with all the deer skins? Sell em off, trash em or what? I was thinking maybe I could call around and see if I could pick some up.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »
Well, I processed my first batch.  Turned out I overestimated--instead of 20 hind legs, I had only 16.  My new friend had kept them cold and I iced them down.  This afternoon, I faced the problem of processing them without my vegetarian better half, who possesses the olfactory capabilities of a bloodhound, from detecting either the aftermath of the drying tendons.  Then it got through to my dull brain--I have a rented boat barn!

So I went over there, took a VERY sharp knife, and went to work.  I messed up the first couple, and a couple more down the line-- and am only mildly confident that I did well, but I came away with 11 tendons, approximately 6 to 9 inches in length.  There are definitely mice in the shed but I pressed an old, conical wire minnow trap into service, which with mesh about 3/8 inch in size, and the minnow openings squeezed shut, I am confident it will keep the cute, iddy biddy rodents out.  I do not plan to pick any more up for about ten days, but learned enough, first time around, to make it worthwhile.  Thanks for all your help and if I accumulate enough this season to make them available I will let folks know.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 09:07:45 pm »
Correction: Make that mesh 3/16 inch--not 3-8.  Any self-respecting mouse could squeeze through nearly a half-inch opening.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 10:09:27 pm »
If you follow them up through the knee, or elbow, or ankle or whatever in the world you want to call it you can get lengths up to 18"+ from a whitetail hind leg.  Give the hook blade a try.  Its quicker and safer than a knife in my opinion.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Scottski

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 01:18:54 am »
I would trade for some also.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »
Outlaw: not certain, but I am pretty sure I am not getting access above where you mention.  He cuts the ham off and there is a small amount of meat--then going further down, there is the major joint--what I was calling the knee, and then the bone that goes down to the hoof.  I am only getting that latter tendon.  Are you saying that it turns the corner of the joint and continues up into the meat?

Scottski: Before I trade any, I want to make sure that what I am getting out of the critters has not been damaged and is as long as possible.  I will take a look at it in February.

Best regards,

Russ