Author Topic: White Oaked back IPE - will my dimensions work?  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Sidmand

White Oaked back IPE - will my dimensions work?
« on: November 05, 2014, 04:51:04 pm »
I need some help, and I believe I have the right place for that.  I have about half a dozen bows under my belt now, well really about 4 successful ones.  All of my successes have been red oak boards and one hickory backed osage.  I just scored some great looking Ipe about 3/4"X6" 10 foot long, but it has grooves cut on either side (for decking I guess) that are about 1/2" deep, so I will have to cut that off and end up with 3/4"x5"x10'.  I also have a 2"x3" piece of nice strait grained white oak, it's 11' long.  I would like to make some bows out of this of course, so I'm going to rip the white oak down to 1/8" backing strips to back the Ipe with.  I have had the best success thus far with bendy handle bows; easier for me to tiller and I really like the simplicity and the way they shoot.  So, I'm thinking slight bend through the handle with cork to build up a grip and a little rest.  I've never worked with Ipe, and I need to get at least two bows out of this, one for my brother in law and one for the guy who gave me the lumber.  Would like to get 3 bows so I have one for myself, but I want them to get bows before I do.

Now, the questions I have are:
  • What would be good dimensions for a bow like this to get between 40# and 55# at 27" to 28" draw? 
  • I'm thinking I could get a little perry reflex in there, but does Ipe heat bend well at all?  I'd like to flip the tips a little if possible
  • Does the wood combination sound OK?  Anyone done something like this?
  • What is the shortest you could go with this combo (assuming I don't screw up the tiller).  Could you feasibly go 60" tip to tip?  I saw someone on here do that very thing, but he is probably a LOT better at this than I am:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22794.0.html.
  • Last question: do you think the layout I have drawn up will work, assuming I do my part?

I'm choosing 60" because the place the guys hunt that I'm making these for (including me if this works out) is thick, and one uses a tree stand, so I want to accommodate them if possible, AND if I can go 60" I can get 6 bows out of this Ipe if I'm lucky and skillful, not 3.  I can go longer if y'all think it's too short and will be a problem.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:28:03 pm by Sidmand »
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: White Oaked back IPE bendy handle dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 04:55:59 pm »
Ipe hates heat and doesnt bend well at all. 1 1/8" wide by 62-63" ntn is good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:30:28 pm »
while ipe does not bend so well with heat, you can glue in some perry reflex easy enough.  Lift the tips off the bench with pieces of 2x4 when doing the glue up.

Russ   

Offline arachnid

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:07:15 pm »
My finest shooter is white oak backed ipe.
W.O makes great backing and looks realy nice with ipe.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,47175.0.html

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:57:31 am »
OK, so can't do much in the way of bending for the tips, but I can glue in some perry reflex.  How about doing something like the picture attached, borrowed from a walkthrough from 4esttrekker.  Would that be worthwhile?
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:55:37 am »
You can glue on levers with an increased angle.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 11:25:40 am »
I've used the glue on recurve works great,  go for it I like to use a contrasting color wood makes a sharp bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:12 am »
So, what do you guys think then on the glue on:  Ipe belly + white oak backer + Ipe recurve = reddish + white stripe + reddish?

Offline Sidmand

Re: White Oaked back IPE - will my dimensions work?
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:28:42 pm »
TTT - added some dimensions and a picture.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 02:43:00 pm »
The dimensions look good to me. I've made a few ipe bows, and the wood is a great bow wood, just don't breathe the dust!
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »
you can do it at 60" but i'd go 64"ttt, a few inches certainly won't make or break ya

Offline bubby

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:09:16 pm »
Thank you all so far for your comments, I'm taking everything you say as something to consider, cause I want these bows to be my best. 

Bubby that bow looks great, I dig that a lot.  If I'm not mistaken, you left that handle area full thickness and then started taking Ipe off at the fades, more or less giving a stiff handle, is that right?  What were the dimensions on your "handle", if I'm correct in my guesses above?

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:25:13 pm »
the handle is basically 1 1/8" square and 8" from end of fade to end of fade, has a 1/4" cut in for the shelf

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 04:12:51 pm »
Roger that Bubby, thank you sir!