Author Topic: Fixing sideways bend?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
Fixing sideways bend?
« on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:36 am »
I've made a narrow yew bow, 69" long, 45#@28". Some flex in the handle. Antler nocks. It had 2" of reflex, now it's about flat after unstringing. It was straight, but pulled into a 2" sideways bend. Please refresh my memory, what are the methods to fix it so that the string will align down the center of the bow? I'm thinking of heat treating at the tips, or the handle. Or I could reduce the weight and take wood off the belly at an angle to make the bow bend differently... which way do I do that again? I looked for a method in my TBB series and in the search function here, but my looking failed. ... I suppose I could also pike it, but I'm worried that I'd be wasting my antler nocks.
Thanks!
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline DC

Re: Fixing sideways bend?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 01:22:41 am »
I've bent yew bows in the handle. I used steam. It takes very little to move the tips 2""

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 02:00:16 am »
Does it only bend sideways only when it's strung?
If so, its pulling towards it weak side, and wood
needs to be removed from the other side.
There's a diagram that someone will hopefully post for you

Offline J05H

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 02:20:26 am »
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 03:05:08 am »
What matters is wether it does it as you are pulling it or wether it sits like that at brace?
If it's as yopu are drawing it then it's thicker on one side than the other.
Or it's warped as you've been working it (most likely). If it's warped then i'd use either steam or dry heat on the affected area. I'd also use a 2x4 or something straight to clamp the bow to. Use shims or whatever means you can to overcompensate the correction by 50% or so. So if it's two inches off straight you need to bring it back past straight by an inch or so to take care of springback once you remove the clamps.
It may take you sometime to get it right but yew bends like butter. Just make sure it's hot enough before bending it.

Offline Chadwick

• Primal Archery
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:48:16 pm »
Thanks for the reminders, gentlemen. I remembered seeing that link, as well.
It sits bent at brace, seems to pull out on the draw. I will try heating it and correcting at the handle. I've been paying attention to the limb taper ever since I noticed the problem, I did fix part of the issue with corrective faceting on the outside edge of the sideways bend.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 03:31:36 pm »
Is it straight when unbraced?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chadwick

• Primal Archery
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:31:32 pm »
It was originally straight when unbraced, now there is a hint of side issue. I've heated it and it's sitting in the clamps right now.