Author Topic: New Custom Made Longbow  (Read 2554 times)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
New Custom Made Longbow
« on: November 03, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »
here's a picture of a freshly minted custom longbow, made to order for a customer:

https://www.facebook.com/173508779403287/photos/a.273947202692777.66712.173508779403287/727292224024937/?type=1&theater
thought you guys would enjoy it :) the string nocks are antler, the wood is hickory, and the length is 62 inches. the draw is 60 pounds at 30 inches draw. more information on this and others of mine is available at the posted link. thank you for looking!

as a side note, i realize that to most people, 62 inches in length does not constitute a longbow. however, the woman who commissioned the bow is only a little over five feet in height, and has an extraordinarily long draw for her height at 30 inches draw.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Custom Made Longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »
You sure got all the goodie out of that piece of hickory. Well done. Will you post a pic of it braced and unbraced?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »
sure will :) i'll post some later tonight when i'm finished up with my classes :)
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:17:39 pm »
Nice one, let's see her at 30"!
And braced and unbraced like pat said

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »
Looks like it probably is at 30 in that pic.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:06:27 pm »
sweet bend on that one!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 07:51:35 pm »
60# @ 30" for 5' gal.  An Amazon!   :o
Good-looking bend!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 10:14:32 pm »
Looks like it probably is at 30 in that pic.
Maybe your right

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 09:32:37 am »
60# @ 30" for 5' gal.  An Amazon!   :o
Good-looking bend!!
Or she draws to the ear. She'll make a good mom, can backhand the kids from the driver seat with ease!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 01:50:49 pm »
Here's an Unbraced photo:

the joints in the mirror are doing some weird things to the photo, my apologies. the set is about an inch when the bow is freshly unstrung from shooting, and settles back to about a half inch in less than an hour.

Here's the Braced photo:

In keeping with the nature of the english longbow, the handle bends with the rest of the bow, and the leather grip is placed in such a way that the arrow is shot from the middle mark of the bow, so neither limb has to be stronger than the other.

and finally, here's a Nocks picture:

these are entirely hand crafted without the aid of powered equipment, and took me a good long while to complete. the hole in the upper nock and the sockets for the limb ends were drilled with a T shaped hand drill with a chuck on it to allow for Bit Swapping. hope you enjoy!

Also, in regards to the "is it 30 or not?" question, it is drawn to 30 inches in that picture. I had questioned the draw weight myself when she ordered it, and i handed her one of my testing bows that i keep around for newbies, compound shooters, and the like to test and see if what they are ordering is what they can really shoot. she drew the sixty pounder with no issue, which i found both admirable and maybe a little scary. she draws to just below the ear so her index finger touches the back of her jaw, with an open stance.