Author Topic: how long does finish keep out moisture/humidity?  (Read 1809 times)

birdpointlightstring32

how long does finish keep out moisture/humidity?
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:08:23 pm »
I just built a heat box but worried about electric bill. lol.. just wondering how long does a proper finish or sealant keep humidity out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: how long does finish keep out moisture/humidity?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 11:29:29 pm »
All the finish does is slows the hygroscopic rate. Your wood bows will all breath and in doing so take on and let out moisture to the atmosphere. Generally during the winter the humidity drops and especially in your home. You don't need to store your bows in a hot box all the time. All of my bows are hanging on pegs. My day to day bows are handy in the sunroom, the rest are in the utility room; the driest room in our house. Also, some woods take on moisture more readily than others because of the amount of natural oils. Use them during the wetter weather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:08:46 am »
Not all finishes are equal either, some are much more effective than others. Ipe is superb in a humid environment.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:48:02 am »
  And a wax finish seems to allow water to move slowest, but you can't just wipe it on.  Wax finishes can be a pain to apply, because everything has to be warm and the wax must melt in and be absorbed, not just lie on the surface.

Use your hotbox to get woord to optimual internal moisture content to ensure low set while working toward tiller, but you won't be able to do much about small fluctuations that follow ambient humidity.

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:44:34 am »
One more question and I will get out of your way today. lol.  :D :D what woods take the least set in high humidity?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 11:12:58 am »
The one you overstress the least.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 11:44:38 am »
I have seen numbers suggesting that Ipe is at its strongest at 12% moisture.
 Many of the resin rich woods are more impervious to moisture or less affected by it.
 This is part of the reason why Yew has its reputation in England.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 04:09:08 pm »
I'll answer in a different way. Of the woods I've used,  osage, black locust and maybe hop hornbeam are the least affected by high humidity. I haven't made that many from hop h.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!