Author Topic: Help picking first time wood. My first attempt failed  (Read 4306 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Help picking first time wood. My first attempt failed
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 10:17:40 pm »
Try using photo bucket to post pictures from.

I found that the boards I've tried didn't give you any warning on breaking. They tend to just explode. The last one I worked on sent the top limb about 30 feet behind me at full draw. Try to find a good hickory or Osage stave. And check out jawges site lots of board bow info there. Patrick 
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 12:01:53 am »
Hickory and Osage are hard to mess up.  They come in boards but what ever you use don't bother if you don't back it.

A good board of hickory, maple, oak white or red do not need backing, I know jawge says the only ba king he uses is air, most all white wood boards when properly selected don't need backed
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mhof86

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:01 am »
I had the same problem posting pics. You need to resize them to 600x400 pixels. You can do it right in MS Paint. If you need more help pm me and I can walk you through it.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:15 am »
Maple or hickory are a good choice for unbacked board bows from my experience.try down loading effitica and you can resize your own photo's,good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.