Author Topic: When should I add rawhide backing?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Blllkns

When should I add rawhide backing?
« on: November 03, 2014, 12:35:59 am »
Hi everyone this is my first time posting. I just broke my second try at a bow, I had it roughed out and had just finished steam bending the handle section to get every thing in line. I was in the process of floor tillering and it broke almost in two. I had planned on backing it with rawhide, and I am not sure if I had gone too far with the floor tillering or if I should have backed it before I started floor tillering. Some specifics on the bow, Cascara, Flat bow design, 58" NTN, I acquired the wood from vine maple bows. I seeking any advice you guys can give to help me for my third try at this. Does my design choice work for this type of wood? (thinking about trying osage or hickory really like a flat bow style) When should I apply my backing after roughing out or after floor tiller? 

Offline bubby

Re: When should I add rawhide backing?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:04:10 am »
What draw length are you trying to get, and do you have any pics of the last try
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:27:05 am »
Simple - before it breaks!!!!
I'd do it once the width profile is roughed out. No point in waiting longer if you think it needs a backing. If you just remove the bark on a stave without touching the wood underneath it won't need backing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:16:51 am »
If I am going to back I do so after long string tillering and before its first stringing with the short string.

If your stave broke while floor tillering there are other issues. That is... you forced it, it broke at a knot,etc.

Tough to say w/o pictures.

Check my site.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:39:11 am »
I add it right after the profile is roughed out and mostly done, before any bending on the floor. But I mostly use rawhide when I have to and don't trust the blank to bend without it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:14:03 pm »
I added a rawhide backing on the bow I just posted; "Farm Hand".  this was a good stave with few issues with it but since it was going to be used by many I decided to add the rawhide. The bow was fully tillered with only some weight loss needed when I backed it.
 Usually I'll back a bow at about first brace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blllkns

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 01:01:32 pm »
Thanks everyone for your responses a lot of good advice. I think I might have forced it during floor tillering like George said. I was going for a 61" NTN with a 28" draw length. Not a 58" NTN like I said earlier. The bottom limb was 28" and the top limb was 29". Again thanks for the advice I think I will be adding the rawhide after I rough it out on the next one. I will post some pics when I figure out how to shrink them fit (new computer). 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 01:12:38 pm »
if it broke during floor tiller,, you were to aggressive or the wood was bad,,
be careful when heat treating to straighten,, you can damage the wood if you try to bend to much,, and it is not hot enough to bend,,
I would suggest go easy on that for your first bows,,,, once the bow is hot,, you have only a few seconds to make the correction,,