Author Topic: A Hickory Bow  (Read 19016 times)

Offline bushboy

Re: A Hickory Bow
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 06:51:29 pm »
What design are you after?getting the front profile right before tillering is key.i wouldn't go any farther until that is set in place.get the outer limb shaped for the last 12" for sure.good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 01:33:17 pm »
Narrowed and shaped up the limbs to a piramid shape from about midlimb to the tip. Now looking at attaching some cedar overlays for the nocks. The back of the bow is rough with the layer or wood that was underneath the bark. Should I put the overlays directly over that or sand it down smooth before gluing the overlays on?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 01:36:10 pm »
  If it is visibly rough and stringy, scrape or sand gently to make sure you are really in the wood.  Most hickory I have worked with is smooth and medium hard, so it smooths and polishes easily.  Stingy stuff makes me thing you have bark residue.

Looking good!

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »
The wood on the belly and sides is white, smooth and hard so its definitely leftover from the bark. I was given this stave and it was dried like this. I kind of like how it looks, if I scraped/sanded gently through to the first layer of the wood for the overlays and left the rest on the bow would this negatively affect the bow?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 02:24:29 pm »
should be fine
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 02:25:09 pm »
and round off the corners more.

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 02:36:50 pm »
and round off the corners more.

Planning on it  :)

Offline bowmo

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 02:57:25 pm »
I wouldn't floor tiller much further if I were you. I don't know it's because I don't make wide limb bows anymore but that thing looks like it's getn pretty thin. I would be switching to a long string or what ever you use when first stringing.

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 03:38:10 pm »
I wouldn't floor tiller much further if I were you. I don't know it's because I don't make wide limb bows anymore but that thing looks like it's getn pretty thin. I would be switching to a long string or what ever you use when first stringing.

Already been up on the tiller tree with a long string. It looks thin but is pulling a lot of weight as its wide. I'm getting the nocks on it so I can throw the bowstring on, brace it and start final tillering it.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »
Shane,
Cedar is a pretty wood to look at .....but IMHO for tip overlays it is too soft of wood.  Overlays are to protect the bows back from splitting from the string.  Antler , horn or a harder wood would be a better choice.  I have some scrap osage pieces you can have if you like....osage gets darker with time and would be a nice looking contrast to hickory....just offering. :-\
You should remove that first layer to add the overlays.  That pignut hickory back is a little different than other hickory I've cut.  I don't believe it is the cambium layer you seeing.  The bows I've  made out of the same tree I lightly sanded the back to remove the dark colored ridges.  I don't think you have too though.....except under the overlays.

Look'n good so far, that is some exceptional hickory if the RH is low you will be surprise how thin the limbs will be for the weigth....
Good luck and keep us posted..
DBar

Oh let me know on the osage material and I might have some other woods too if your interested.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:49:04 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 08:42:18 pm »
Shane,
Cedar is a pretty wood to look at .....but IMHO for tip overlays it is too soft of wood.  Overlays are to protect the bows back from splitting from the string.  Antler , horn or a harder wood would be a better choice.  I have some scrap osage pieces you can have if you like....osage gets darker with time and would be a nice looking contrast to hickory....just offering. :-\
You should remove that first layer to add the overlays.  That pignut hickory back is a little different than other hickory I've cut.  I don't believe it is the cambium layer you seeing.  The bows I've  made out of the same tree I lightly sanded the back to remove the dark colored ridges.  I don't think you have too though.....except under the overlays.

Look'n good so far, that is some exceptional hickory if the RH is low you will be surprise how thin the limbs will be for the weigth....
Good luck and keep us posted..
DBar

Oh let me know on the osage material and I might have some other woods too if your interested.

Can't thank you enough. :D if you have some scrap wood you wouldn't care to throw my way that would be awesome. I'll see about giving you a call tomorrow.

You are right about this being mighty strong hickory. Everyone keeps telling me how it looks thin but I'm still seeing a lot of weight when its up on the tillering tree. 

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 11:08:39 am »

Got the walnut overlays glued on and just need to shape them up. Started doing some of the finishing sanding on the bow, wanting to leave some of the rough darker layer on towards the center of the bow and fade it out to the actual first layer of wood towards the tips as you can see in the picture.

Thanks again to Danzn Bar, he has been awesome and I wouldn't be nearly as as a long if it wasn't for him and you guys as well.

Offline xpertbushman

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 11:39:38 am »
Hey is there any possible way that you could get me that other billet in your picture. Maybe a trade?
This apprentice has much to learn.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 07:54:11 pm »
Shane,
Looking good!,  not to be telling you what to do without you asking, but get those tips shaped up, get it braced, and then take it easy on the tillering tree until you get it to about 2-3 inches from full draw and then final tiller with you pulling and pictures taken....
And let's see some more pictures. :D :D ;)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm rushing you, don't mean to, take you time  :)
DBar
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:30:46 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 02:48:06 pm »
haha I'm hurrying best I can.  :D

Was hoping to get some work in this weekend but ended up busy all weekend.
Picked up another project this weekend with restoring/modifying a vintage drafting table but I'm gonna try and not let the bow get pushed to the back burner.