Author Topic: Lenape Bow  (Read 8625 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Lenape Bow
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 09:20:32 am »
Thanks guys

Gabe: Heat-treated reflex stays in the bow more so than dried reflex

Del:  I made a long draw D bow years ago, it had recurves, thinking it would launch a flight arrow farther,  not so.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 09:41:18 am »
Beautiful tiller

Offline Adam

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 11:18:07 am »
Nice bow Marc!  If you don't mind me asking, what museum bow did you base it on? The Lenape lived in my area too and I'm interested in learning more about their archey equipment. Thanks!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 12:22:01 pm »
  Marc, if that stave was 20 years old, do you do anything to prevent bugs?  I  live in Utah and work mostly slippery elm and Siberian elm saplings, when I do elm.  Even when I dry staves very dry and fast by roughing them out, and sometimes even after I have heat-treated, I get these TINY borers of some type that eat the staves either under the bark or even between growth rings.  I would thing heat treating would kill any larvae or eggs, but it happens a lot if I leave wod int he garage too long.  first I know I am finishing front profile or somethign and I start to see powdered wood fluffing out.  Or, I have even had a sudden "delamination" between summer wood rings, only to see little squiggles all over the separated surfaces.

I can usually cut elm, hack it out and finish in few weeks including drying, but sometimes I want to cut wood in fall for the winter.   But I'd rather not have to work wood coated with pesticides.   Ideas?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »
Thanks guys

I don't have my book in front of me right now Adam but I believe it is the Museum of Natural History.

Sadly I've lost more than one Elm to bugs, usually the Powder Post Beetle.  I find that if the wood is stored inside a shed or, as in this case, an attic then the wood is pretty well safe. The problem though is that these Beetles have a long incubation period and if the adult lays eggs on the wood before you have it stored indoors or even before you get your hands on it then the wood is toast.  Also if you have contaminated wood then when the larvae hatches it immediately start the whole process all over again and you can have an infestation.  In any case I've never had any bug problems with wood stored in the attic....yet.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 08:12:18 pm »
Man Marc that tiller is sooo sweet. When my tiller grows up I want it to be just like yours.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 05:07:39 am »
Slick and snappy  8)
Don't shoot!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 07:49:49 am »
Excellent work Marc. I love that style of bow, made one myself a few years back like that only mine didn't have that spot on tiller that you got out of yours. The full draw and resting profiles on your example are
just perfect, well done.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 05:04:44 pm »
Thank you all

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com