Author Topic: Golf cart repair help  (Read 14480 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Golf cart repair help
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:04:50 pm »
My father in law gave me his old golf cart since he couldn't get it running.  He let it sit outside for at least a year without starting it.  I would like to get it running and fix it up a little.  I don't have a quad so this thing will be the Outlaw Assault Vehicle  >:D 

It is going to need some work.The seat needs replaced.  That shouldn't be to hard.  The one that is on it is home made any way.  I want to get rid of the blue/red color scheme.  I used to paint caskets on an assembly line so I should be able to handle painting a golf cart.  I would like to ad a back seat or maybe put some sort of a bed on it.  The wiring is a mess on this thing.  There are a lot of wires twisted together with just a little tape covering it.  I would like to go through and replace any wires that need it.  The head lights have never worked.  The wires aren't connected to anything.

I have very limited mechanic skills.  I am really hoping someone on PA can offer some advice along the way while I get this buggy back on the road.  I took the back fender, back rests, and back floor tub off so it would be easier to get to the engine.  When you try to start it, it turns over but doesn't fire.  I pulled the spark plug and its getting a spark.  I noticed the fuel filter didn't have any gas in it.  The fuel line has been recently replaced but there is a second fuel line that is old and crumbling.  It goes from the engine block to a little gizmo that the fuel line runs through.  My Dad was looking at it with me and he thinks that it uses the compression from the engine to pump the fuel to the carburetor.  He thinks that the cracked hose isn't getting the compression to the pump thing and isn't feeding it any gas.  Am I on the right track?  Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the gizmo that the fuel line runs to. 

The little diagonal piece with the two bolts and the hose is where the bad fuel line connects to the engine.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:16:19 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Golf cart repair help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:17:07 pm »
Blue is the sapwood with the red heartwood showing thru in places?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:25:11 pm »
You're on the right track Clint.  That is indeed the fuel pump.  It operates on vacuum pulse from the crankcase.  So you definitely have to replace the rotten line.  Also it's a two stroke engine, so you need to see if its oil injected or if you have to premix the fuel.  If it's injected, make sure those lines are good as well and that the injection pump is working properly.  Two strokes don't work long with out two-cycle oil as you well know.  Once that's all good and you think she's ready to fire up.  Take the spark plug out, give it a one second squirt of carb cleaner through the plug hole, replace the plug and wire and crank her up.  You might have to do it a couple times before the fuel system picks up.  Also take the bowl off the carburetor and make sure it's not full of varnish.  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:35:28 pm »
You are correct JW.

Josh, thanks for the help.  It used to be oil injected but has been running on premix fuel since my father in law bought it.  I'm trying to not get to involved in anything gas related until after I kill a buck.  That gas smell is hard to wash off and I don't want to mess up my hunting.  Although it would be cool to be able to send my father in law a text of his old golf cart pulling a deer out of the woods. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:52:53 pm »
Deer hauler, eh?  That's just cool.  Rack and Roll!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wildman

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:13:17 pm »
Clint, that is a diaphragm fuel pump, same as most older 2 stroke out boards it will have a thin sheeting inside it. If that rubber diaphragm can have a tiny pin hole in it that causes it to lose prime. Is it a Melex cart ?
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:18:07 pm »
I think its an early 90's ezgo

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:19:12 pm »
Un screw those 4 phillips there should be a spring and button that pushes against the rubber. I rebuilt one this summer on an Evinrude 35hp 30min and $30. If you replace the fuel line you were talking about and it does not work this is more than likely your issue. Spray a little starting fluid/WD-40 in carb and see if it fires. You have fire so add the fuel.

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wildman

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:26:42 pm »
Something else , I'm fairly sure most 2 stroke carts reverse the engine stroke to reverse cart.

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 01:07:23 am »
I was given a Deere Gator the same way, Hadn't been started in 2 years. First thing I did was got rid of the old gas, cleaned the Carb, bought a new battery and hooked my jumper cables to it and my F-250. I kept turning it over and spraying ether to it till it finally started running on it's own. I know, Mechanics are gonna scream about the ether, I don't care, it worked. Then I sat it on Jack stands and let it run all day after changing the oil and greasing and oiling everything I could find. Used it for two years on a lease then sold it for $500.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 05:44:13 am »
Ya Eddie,either will/and can blow the top of the piston off, a little goes a long way. Clint we have a couple like that around here,very cool little rides,only issue is they cost a lot to keep repaired,clean carb and anything fuel related is probable the trouble with that one,setting with the gas we get now days is a very bad thing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:40 am »
Another note. As I am sure most people here know. Make sure you use a fuel stabilizer, as well as try to not buy fuel with ethanol. All of the small engines on equipment at my work last about 1/4 of the life if Ethanol is used. I personally bought a Craftsman lawnmower when I bought my house, it lasted 2 mow jobs with ethanol fuel. If you run into anything that anyone here can't lick let me know. The city I work for owns a Golf Course, and we have a really good small engine guy, but I have faith in the knowledge of the members of PA! Camo that puppy!

Joe
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:41 am »
Don't forget to also add step rails so those short legs of yours can get up into that monster truck.  :laugh:

And ya might have to also put a wood block(osage preferred) to the gas pedal so your foot can reach the pedal  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 11:58:58 am »
Thin tires and spinner rims!!!  8) Pimp it up real good.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 01:12:15 pm »
Don't forget to also add step rails so those short legs of yours can get up into that monster truck.  :laugh:

And ya might have to also put a wood block(osage preferred) to the gas pedal so your foot can reach the pedal  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

"Hold on to your potatoes, Dr. Jones, we goin for a ride." ;D
1’—>1’