Author Topic: How to get started?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

How to get started?
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:09:12 pm »
Hey guys, I would really love to learn how to knap. I have watched alot of videos on youtube and have tried about twenty bottle bottoms but can't seem to get a feel for it. Where do I start? Thanks guys

Stringman

Re: How to get started?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:15:32 pm »
Let me point out the obvious... you already have. The difference between yourself, at your present skill level, and someone like Don Tower is simply tonnage.

More specifically, you should search out a bucket of spalls or flakes and put some rock thru your hands. Sounds like you have already received some instruction (via video) but you will need to develop the muscle memory and techniques of the hobby through many hours of practice. Hope I'm not sounding distant, but your question is pretty vague. If you have specific problems that come up, take a pic and post it up. We will do our best to try and help.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:47:33 pm »
Thank you. I guess I just have trouble recognizing a good platform and knowing how to send a flake across the piece. I Also seem to just crush edges when I try to pressure flake instead of getting good sharp edges

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:17:09 am »
Cause glass is so weak you need to abrade a lot. This will strengthen the edge and allow you to push in harder before you apply pressure outward.  This will help drive flakes further.  Also make sure your platform is below centerline.  Otherwise read and watch videos as much as possible

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:53:49 pm »
How thick are the bottom of the bottles you are using? Old clorox bottles work great but newer bottles being thin make it more challenging. And as always abrade abrade abrade.

Offline Drewster

Re: How to , get started?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »
Lee, I watched a lot of videos when I started too and it helped a lot.  BUT, find a local knapper that you can sit and watch, ask questions and have him help you one on one.  It will be immensely valuable.  I was fortunate to have a good mentor and we still knap together numerous times a year.  A knap-in within driving distance will be worth every minute you invest.  Most of all, don't give up.  As mentioned above, bust a lot of glass and rock, then go back and watch more videos.  I'm pretty good with my hands but it still took me many, many hours to start understanding the techniques......and still leaning.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 05:47:30 am »
Ok thanks guys! I will keep plugging away as time and materials allow! The glass I was using was thick old bottle bottoms I found in the woods