Author Topic: update on my black locust  (Read 2510 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

update on my black locust
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:17:14 pm »
Posted asking for help chasing a ring the other day  just thought i would update you all.  first thanks for the help.  I finally chased a good ring today then roughed out the bow.  i wanted to go 2 in. at the fades but not enough wood there so went with a little over 1.5 in. think it will still work out.  going for 66in. ttt  and around 55@27in.  any advice is welcome and appriciated thanks,
                                                                                          Greg
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: update on my black locust
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:53:24 am »
I think you might either come short of 55# or end up with a lot of set or chrysaling.

In the future, you can make the bow wide at the fades even if the crown comes down to within a 1/4" of the belly surface. Wood is 3 or 4 times stronger in tension than compression, so a crowned back that is thin on the edges is usually fine.

I have made some good bows of black locust, but I learned that the wood needs lots of belly width to handle the compression stresses.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:21:15 pm »
I think you're good if you take it slow and temper the belly- I'd also add up to two inches of reflex and expect to hold half an inch at those stats if its good locust. Crown is your friend, and trapping a flat back always helps the belly.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Jared C

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 03:24:06 pm »
This is really off topic but I made a knife handle out of black locust before and while sanding it it gave off a terrible smell. Have you noticed anything like that while working on your bow?

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 06:16:41 pm »
Haven't noticed any bad smell. Got it down to where I need to do some straightening but heat gun doesn't work so I'm thinking about trying steam
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 01:50:44 pm »
I love locust and use it a lot. It can smell.  I wouldn't call it AWEFUL, but esp if you are sawing it or sanding, if you get it hot enough to start scortching or anything, it smells.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 05:15:56 pm »
Yep, can happen. If you leave a stave in the rain and it's hot the Jett day and you peal the bark you will have smelled locust's worst ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.