Author Topic: Super glue as a finish  (Read 2600 times)

Offline OsageWhisper

Super glue as a finish
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:21:33 pm »
Has anyone use super glue as a finish for their bow ?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Super glue as a finish
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:24:26 pm »
Not an entire bow, but Ive used it to seal oily woods prior to sealing with poly. Works good to hold the oils back and allow the finish to dry properly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:27:10 pm »
It cracks, not made to bend. Static parts it is well. I use for knife handles
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:42:47 pm »
Tite bond 3 does a good job though, seen it with my own eyes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 12:53:48 pm »
Art Butner uses it for arrow finish.  I use a lot of super glue during bow making but not as a finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 03:02:53 pm »
A friend of mine once finished a bow with super glue (the cheap, runny stuff). It was not easy to apply, but it worked out fine. Seemed to create a really durable and hard surface.
He used a plastic bag wrapped around his fingers to keep the glue from sticking to him. A latex glove might work better. He squeezed a lot of glue onto the wood and quickly rubbed it in. As soon as the glue becomes tacky, you have to stop rubbing, or it won't dry to form a smooth surface. Once the glue was dry, it actually looked horrible. The surface was patchy and chalky; not fully transparent. The trick was to polish the superglue once it had thoroughly dried. He used a bundle of wood shavings to vigorously rub the surface and give it a nice shine.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:47:42 pm »
I use super glue as a finish all the time on projects I turn on the lathe. It works awesome! But, I apply it while it's on the lathe. Rubbed in at high speeds, it dries in seconds due to the friction heat. I wouldn't want to try and apply to a bow. Too much work to get that nice shine. There's too many other finishes that will work just as nice without the polishing step. Just my opinion. 

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:35:04 pm »
If you want to try something similar to super glue, but I consider much better,  Try what is called the Massey finish, as in Jay Massey, half acetone and half epoxcy. It works really good over a sinew backing for sealing against water. It is flexible and I haven't problems with it cracking.
Duke
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.