Author Topic: Tru-Oil -- how to use?  (Read 9202 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Tru-Oil -- how to use?
« on: January 13, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »
Got a stain on my bow - was real happy with it.  Ok, still am.. kinda.   Let it dry overnight - the put a light touch of tru-oil on it and let it sit a good 24 hours.  All good.  Was going to put another coat on it, and read on a wood working site that I should lightly sand between coats....... :(

The lumps in the wood, you know, those small character lumps in VM....   though I used 600g wet paper and barely touched it stroking 3 quick swipes.... you got it.  I have new wood showing through.   Still adds character and this is my learning bow... I'm not too detrimented... :)

So, the word on the site was that if you don't sand it, the finish may lift.  I was thinking that since this isn't a table, but a bow, that bends and gets weather treatment - maybe I should heed the advice...

When you apply coat after coat of tru-oil, do you sand between?  do you apply the next coat while its still a little tacky?  in short, what do you do to ensure the coats adhere to its parent coating of oil?

Thanks!

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tru-Oil -- how to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 05:58:20 pm »
Mike, I rub the cured Tru-Oil with 0000 steel wool between each coat. With the vine maple being bumpy, you may want to use the steel wool(or fine sand paper) between the humps. I don't think not using the steel wool or sand paper will effect the adhering of the Tru-Oil but it aids in the leveling of the surface.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:03:25 pm »
Mike, I do a light sanding about every 3 coats. But you have to be very careful around raised areas and edges - hit these areas very lightly if at all. You should let Tru-Oil dry between coats otherwise it will build up and take forever to dry - particularly here in the NW during Winter. This time of year I generally apply 2 coats a day. One in the morning and another in the evening. In the summer (or if you have a hotbox), you can double that.
Gordon

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:04:58 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 06:08:27 pm »
That's about what I was going to say :). I wouldn't think that not sanding would make anything lift, but instead seems to kinda polish the surface in prep for the next coat - that's my experince anyway. Let each coat harden enough that you can steel wool it, then apply the next coat - it gets slicker each time you do. PatB has been a big player in my bow building upbringing on this site - so anything he says in pure gospel ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:15:53 pm »
Couldn't agree more Cowboy - both these guys have put out some great bows and solid advice so I tend to listen and try to emulate.

That Tru-Oil makes for a gorgeous and fantastic finish - what a difference it made to the look!

-m
Mike B.
Central Washington State

wvfknapper

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 06:19:59 pm »
What do yall use to degrease your steel wool? I always used alcohol, anything better?

wvflintknapper

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 06:22:52 pm »
I haven't degreased my steel wool yet but prolly should.
 Sorry Gordon - you've been a mentor too. We were typing at the same time :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:19:29 pm »
What do yall use to degrease your steel wool? I always used alcohol, anything better?

wvflintknapper

this is a new one to me ::) I just use it the way it comes out of the bag.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Glenn R.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:14:26 pm »
I apply tru-oil under a flourescent light, with my hands and take great care to keep the finish smooth--no smears or bubbles--the flourescent light will show this. I apply 2--3 coats while prior coat is still tacky and do not apply wet over dry unless rubbing finish with 0000 steel wool. Once finish coat is dry use the inside of a brown paper bag to polish the finish----it will shine like a jewel.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 09:17:27 pm »
Now that's interesting Glenn! More info to sock back for future use :).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:23:31 am »
Hey guys, Don't pay too much attention to the man behind the curtain! ;)    Pat

ps. I have never de-greased my steel wool...and never will! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 08:01:44 am »
I do what Pat said on both responses.Never had any trouble with it lifting [YET] :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 01:13:56 pm »
Glenn R., your brown paper bag idea works great!!  This things starting to look like a piece of furnature rather than a hunting weapon.  I guess it'll look good on my wall....  seems just plain wrong to build a bow and hang it on the wall.  :)

Thanks for all your responses - its coming along nicely.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

wvfknapper

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 03:27:42 pm »
I had always heard even from high school shop class, to degrease steel wool due to the cutting oil used to make it, just wondered if anyone else did it.

wvflintknapper