Author Topic: Bulky Bow Arm? (Cold Weather Clothing)  (Read 4346 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Bulky Bow Arm? (Cold Weather Clothing)
« on: November 02, 2014, 12:05:39 am »
    What are you guy's wearing when it's 20-30 degrees for string clearance while shooting primitive bows? Is there some miracle fabrics out there? Seems like tight fitting layers eventually build up and give me the bulky bow arm. I hunt off the ground so things like the Heater Body suit are out of question due to extra movement and sudden appearances of a ghostly deer at 10yds. I do wear a pull over fabric arm guard that helps.
                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Bulky Bow Arm? (Cold Weather Clothing)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:44:55 am »
Just my arm guard. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:37:29 am »
An ace bandage works well. Very well
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:41:51 am »
I know what you mean Don, the bulky clothing is a pain. I was out yesterday hunting and temp was 28 when I headed out, lotsa layering and the wool coat to top it off makes a puffy forearm. I put on a long leather arm guard and still have to adjust my shooting style to my more bent arm hunting style of shooting.
I've gotten used to shooting like this over the years so not a problem, still dislike all the bulk though.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 02:19:09 pm »
  Thanks fellas...One thing I don't have is a wool vest...A vest would keep my core warm without adding arm bulk.
                                                                                                       Don                 
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 03:54:49 pm »
Look at the fleece lined vests that Carhart sells. I use them at wok in the winter time, and very rarely have to wear a coat. The only time I need a coat and bibs is if I am flagging traffic and have to stand without too much movement for a long period of time.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mhof86

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:20:59 pm »
Hey Don,

The Cabelas ECWCS base layer has served me VERY well. In high 20s to mid 30s I run that base, then a tight fitting long sleeve shirt and most of the time with gloves and face/head covered that will keep me warm. If you get into the single digits or below a light coat or winter parka might be necessary and that is when I notice the bulk. But I do 20s-30s with that base layer and a long sleeve shirt most of the time.

I suppose if you were stationary though instead of roaming around and staying active you might need a bit more.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 05:34:04 pm »
  Thanks mh, I was just looking at their wooltimate vest...I will check it out ;)
                                                                                                                   Don

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 05:45:54 pm »
  JoJo, I checked Carhart out, Thanks... So many choices everywhere  :-\    From research I'm leaning towards wool. I spend all of my time on the ground and sometimes walk long distances. I learned one thing years ago when I was young, when it's cold you don't want to sweat and wear cotton. I would rather walk on the chilly side than freeze when I stop later...
                                                                                                                   Don

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 05:47:25 pm »
Nylons layered up are very warm and. Cheap.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 05:49:21 am »
Don - Check out Americas biggest online bidding site. Search Wool Vests - You'll be amazed at what You can get CHEAP. Not to long ago, I saw a Filson Wool vest go for $50.00 ! Good luck - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:56:25 pm »
An ace bandage works well. Very well

I use one of the elbow / knee braces. I just slide it over my coat sleeve. Works pretty well.

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:28 pm »
I go another route.  I dont wear much at all. I first wear a pair of military camo pants and a t-shirt.  Over that is a zip up tyvek suit. The type body shop folks wear when painting cars. It doesnt breath and blocks odors. Because they dont breath you get toasty quick. Then i put on a cammo long sleeve shirt and camo overalls. No bulk no cold and I can peel of the tyvek and or overalls if I get to warm and still be camo. Trust me, go get one of those plastic full body suits. They work amazing. They are a bit noisy but if you wear them with clothes on both sides it quiets them down quite a bit.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others