Author Topic: Hop hornbeam question  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Hop hornbeam question
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:34 am »
Its been a gradual growth into primitive archery for me, starting with bows, etc. I've steered away from cutting and curing my own shoots for whatever reasons, but after a fire in our woods several years back that destroyed a lot of white oak and hickory trees I've noticed a lot of wild blackberry and dozens of clumps of what I believe is hop hornbeam coming up everywhere. From what I can glean on the internet this is supposed to be a spreading-type shrub but so far its growing tall, straight and limbless, I guess due to its growing in competition with the older, scarred hickory and oak. I've marked a few 'trunks' for future bow wood, but was wondering if the smaller shoots can be used for wooden arrow shafts.
Thanks, Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PatM

Re: Hop hornbeam question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:57:35 am »
HHB doesn't really grow arrow straight as a young tree. Not sure where you got info that it is a spreading type shrub.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:55:22 am »
Never read about it but I had the opinion that HHB was a very slow growing tree,at least it is around my place.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:11:23 am »
Are you sure it's not honeysuckle that your thinking of?  They tend to take over a burned  out area quickly and grow like a shrub.  Honeysuckle doesn't look anything like hhb though.  Just a guess at what it might be.  Got pics?  Josh

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:09:42 pm »
Back in the early summer the trees bore quite a few of these 'hop' fruits. This maybe identifies it as eastern or hop hornbeam. According to the Missouri Conservation tree manual American hornbeam tends to grow in clumps, however there is no mention of that species producing the hops. Also, the American hornbeam tends to grow in the southern part of the state, and I'm northwest.
I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.
Thanks
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:29:54 pm »
Yep your right, honeysuckle most definitely does not produce the hops looking things.  I guess I've only ever seen hop hornbeam in small tree form.  If you do make some shoot shafts out of it, please share your results.  Josh