Author Topic: Ash Staves  (Read 3084 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Ash Staves
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:01:30 pm »
Emerald ash borer is hammering ash around here, a few landowners are cutting timber.  I was cutting firewood today on one of the sites and a split piece was begging to be made into staves..  I put the kid to work sealing them... 

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Ash Staves
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:13:40 pm »
Nice helper there.  The borers haven't hit our area yet.  They are getting closer.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:22:34 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:18:43 pm »
This time last year there was no sign of them on this farm, amazing how fast it happens.  The trees aren't dead yet, but you can see dead branches and thin tops..

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:22:12 pm »
When ur ready to make bows with em..make em long wide and heat treat em ;) when them borers hit they come thru like a locust plague...fast n furious eating em all up in several months

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:41:21 pm »
Thanks Chris, would you trap the back too?  I've heard ash is stronger in tension and wondered if that would help?

It is a beautiful straight grained wood, to think it may be gone from the landscape in the future makes putting a few staves away that much more appealing.

I have a hundred or so staves of mostly osage, some ERC, sugar maple, sassafras, mulberry and KY coffeetree already dried 2 years so no need to hurry with working the ash..  I do need to hurry with putting some more ash aside... does that make me a hoarder????  :D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:28:00 pm »
Those look real nice Joe,  I've got about 5-6 ash on my property (Nelson Co) I'm keeping an eye on.  Is bare branches in the top the first sign?  If it is, ours were pretty thin this year. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 08:51:13 pm »
Yes Bill, that's one of the first.  The first farms I saw it on really bad last year was during the coldest weather.  The woodpeckers figured the larvae out and shredded bark on trees that otherwise looked ok in the fall, except for a few dead limbs and thinner crowns.  The "telling" "D" exit holes of the beetles were not present at that time.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 08:58:32 pm »
Joe
Did the bark peel off easy this time of year? 
Bill
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »
It didn't peel, but it came off easily with the drawknife.  I debated leaving it, but knowing there were likely larvae tunnels in the cambium figured it would be best to remove. 

Offline kid bow

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:16:23 pm »
 I meam hey if you wanna send a stave or two my way id make a bow out of them  ::)  >:D :laugh:
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.