Author Topic: Greetings from South Texas:  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Comancheria

Greetings from South Texas:
« on: October 26, 2014, 12:34:16 pm »
Folks,

I want to thank the moderators for the privilege of joining, and to thank all of YOU in advance for agreeing to be my mentors.   :)  My real name is Russ and I live on the Gulf of Mexico, about 80 miles north of the King Ranch.  I bought a cheap longbow along about 1957 and launched countless arrows at countless jackrabbits, most of which were larger than the three deer I have now taken with a compound.  (The rabbit population was never diminished.)  I have a lovely composite recurve, but have now succumbed totally to the addiction I now share with you.  I have Volume I of the "Bible", and have just ordered virtually every book in print about bow building.  My main problem is that I am a real klutz with tools.

I chose my board name for a couple of reasons: first because I grew up in San Antonio, on the edge of the area known as the Comancheria, ("The People" referred to that city as their "horse ranch"),  and I now live on the southern edge of the territory into which they raided.  (It may be just an old story, but it is alleged that they were somewhat reluctant to raid the coastal Karankawa tribes--because they stood over six feet, went stark naked, rubbed their bare bodies with rancid Alligator grease, and tended to eat Comanches!)  My second reason is that I have been told that one of my Great-Great Grandmothers was Comanche.  I have seen pictures of her daughter, and I believe it is true.  I admire the Comanche Nation because they held out against the incursion of the rest of my ancestors for as long--and longer--than humanly possible.

A pleasure to meet you,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Re: Greetings from South Texas:
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 12:39:06 pm »
Welcome to PA, interesting piece of history about the Karankawa tribes

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:44:08 pm »
Always good to see a fellow Texican join in.  Welcome!  I'm north of SA near Boerne.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:51:47 pm »
Thanks, but like so much of oral "History", some of it may be a yarn!  For example, my Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought with Houston at San Jacinto, was a Texas Ranger, and in 1906 co-authored a book called "Tall Men With Long Rifles", much of which is indeed history--but some of which resembles what you find near the south end of a northbound bull.  The problem is deciding which is which--especially in Texas!

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:23 pm »
Ah, yes--Boerne.  I know it well from long ago--when it was a small town!  Good to meet you!

By the way, all--how do you send a message to the moderator?

Russ

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:41:31 pm »
Thank goodness your Camanche as naked grease covered full draw picks are not going to fly here. Although I think we should ponder the idea of grease covered squaws of all nationalities as we are multicultured here.....How about it mods? >:D Maybe a new "adult" section called "bending my bow to perfection."

Welcome.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:55:19 pm »
Welcome indeed Russ.  Well, whether your story is history or BS, I still enjoyed reading it.  Glad to have you aboard the "bow train".

Drew
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 01:58:20 pm »
Welcome. Soak it all in!
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 03:05:41 pm »
You can send me(or any admin or moderator) a PM or in my case an email. My email address is in my profile.
 Welcome to PA.  I like your story, and your history lesson is as accurate as any history lesson I ever learned. History was written by the victors so it reflected their thoughts and desires.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »
Welcome to PA! San Antonio is my favorite US city. My wife and I had a great acation there. I love  the Riverfront area.

You have lots of help here.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »
Well, George, I will need lots of help.  If, on a scale of 1-10, 1 represents a wise, old elephant, I am a parasitic mosquito at number 10!

Best regards,

Russ

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 04:59:10 pm »
I remember those days when I was learning my way around this obsession on my first few bows.  I had lot's of help from an experienced bow maker who poured out onto me everything he knew, as have many others over the years.  Much of that type of spirit you will find on this forum, so bail off into it and ask lots of questions as you go.  You will find no shortage of helpful advise along the way.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 12:09:14 pm »
Welcome.   :)

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »
Welcome Comancheria....having a gtg in Somerville, Texas nov. 7-9th...you are more than welcome to come and get first hand teaching from any one of us that will be there...questions answered and helpful advice...look on the events page for more info...or just PM  me here.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »
My thanks to all for your warm greetings.  Dog, I won't be able to make any events for a while due to finishing up around the outside of a new house and taking my grandson hunting--but make it I will at some point.  I am finding retirement more taxing than work was!

Got volumes 2 and 4 of TBB yesterday and am eagerly awaiting V 3, The Bent Stick, and some others.

Best regards,

Russ