Author Topic: 'lil' Hickory  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
'lil' Hickory
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:03:19 pm »
Few months ago I began a hickory bow that was intended to be pyramid design, 68" ttt, 2 1/2" @ fades with goal being 50# at 26". 

While I am still new to this bow-building hobby, I was VERY new back then.  I thought myself to be clever to use tablesaw to get close to tapered limb thickness & rough shape fade taper.  Ya can likely guess how that turned out .... setup was not foolproof and I can be foolish.  In an instant I had plowed 1/2" wide channel across a limb that was about 1/8" tooooooo deep.  RUINED!  As reminder of my foolishness, I screwed it to front of the workbench.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago.  Enjoying morning coffee in shop and looking at that bow screwed to bench.  Hmmmmm.  If limbs were to be seriously piked maybe some kinda bow could be obtained.

Here's what I have.

It's just 51", ntn.  2 1/4" wide @ fades to 3/8" tips.  Pin nocks with the thinnest pins I've tried.  Stiff handle with sueded wrap and floppy arrow rest.

How's it look to ya?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:49:16 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 'lil' Hickory
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:58:36 pm »
Now that is bending some Hickory! It's just about indestructible wood. That string angle on them pins is real close :o...Nice looking bow ;)
                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:59:56 pm »
Looks good to me, what's the draw length
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:07:50 pm »
Wow! I would never have tried a full draw bow that short with a stiff handle but you pulled it off! How much set did it take?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:03:35 pm »
Draw length is bit shy of 26".  Set is bit more than 1".  Yeah, I'm definitely pushing it!  This was my 1st experience with hickory & am impressed.

Was tillered for one of the grandgirl's 20" draw.  She wanted a bow to keep here at our place so she wouldn't have to remember to bring her own when visiting.  I couldn't resist shooting it in backyard.  So now it's mine, 'cept when she drops by.  Shhhhhh, don't tell her!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:47:17 am »
Looks good buddy,  I bet the granddaughter will love it! 😇 Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Lil Bow Pete

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 01:58:06 am »
Very nice. What draw weight did you get? I just made a "kids bow" out of a mistake. It is also 51" ntn and pulls over 50# at 26". I would not have believed it was possible. Funny what can happen when you are fooling around with a throw away.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:46:09 am »
Nice little pyramid bow, good save!
Where 'bouts in Missouri do you live?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:30:21 am »
Where 'bouts in Missouri do you live?
Approx 60 mi west of StL, right off I-70. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:00:50 am by Knoll »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:00:16 am »
Wow, that is some serious bend for hickory