Author Topic: Glue  (Read 2029 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Glue
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:42:39 am »
I have hit a milestone, I have used my first bottle of glue. Now, what to buy for round 2? I used TBII the first go round, What do you suggest for the next? Pros, Cons? Thanks in advance.

Joe
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Glue
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:49:49 am »
TBII is good glue. TBIII is waterproof but that doesn't really matter with a sealed bow. I think TBII is stronger than TBIII. I've not tried Unibond but loved Urac. They are supposed to be similar. Weldwood Plastic Resin is urea type glue like Urac and Unibond but is cheaper, mixes with water and is a very good glue. I never had a glue failure with any of these glues and I'm not the best at glue-ups.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:55:09 am »
What would be the best all around glue for wood, Sinew, Skins, etc.? I'm house poor, so it matters to me.  :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:59:03 am »
I wouldn't use any of them for sinew but some folks use TB glues for sinew. The TB glues would probably be your best bet, TBII being the strongest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:06:29 am »
Thanks Pat. I haven't had any issues with TBII with anything but Rosewood, and it isn't the best with sinew. Maybe i'll break down and make some hide glue.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:47 am »
Joe for sinew you can use knox gelatin the unflavored type, works great and its cheap
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:18:22 pm »
Too often I don't have my glue up ducks in a row.  So I appreciate TBII's longer setup time compared to III.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857