Author Topic: Juniper question  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Aaron H

Juniper question
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:34:48 am »
I just cut down a juniperus virginiana in mid Missouri last month.  It was a tree that was split at the bottom, and the two trunks grew very close together.  There were no limbs coming off the two trunks that faced each other, so I have some nice clean straight staves to work with.  My question is how long is it recommended to let this beautiful stuff dry and cure before I start ?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Juniper question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:21:16 am »
You can start today. But you must stop when you reach the floor tillering stage. Then you should put it aside to dry (indoors, preferably) until it is dry.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:02 am »
The longer the better. If you get limb free ERC treat it right and let it season properly so you can get the best bow out of it. Find other wood to build bows with until the ERC is ready to shine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:30 am »
I have plenty of other bows to build till it dries, but I am itching to build a sinew backed juniper.  I was just trying to get a idea of how long I have to wait.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:44:25 am »
Under the right conditions it could be ready in 2 or 3 months. You can deduce it to floor tiller stage like Dark Soul  suggested. If you do you maybe should secure it to a form to prevent twisting, etc. If you have a shape you are planning on form the green stave to that as it dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:23:55 am »
I have one I am about to start as well. I reduced it some, and clamped it to a wall stud in my garage for about 3 weeks. It has sat in the rafters of my attic for about 2 months now. Can't wait to try it. Mine is Utah Juniper.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:37:42 am »
I have made 2 bows from self cut juniper.
its very light wood,  and does not check easily if treated right.
I sealed my ends right away and waited a few days.
remove bark and rough out your bow.
it takes a good amount of juniper to make a bow, so
Leave plenty of meat.
I sinewed one of mine while green in a reverse brace and let them
both cure at the same time.
you should shellac the back for sure.
clamp it to a form or something as well.
I loooove juniper

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:13:26 pm »
I have a stave from the same stuff as Joe--most of it seems to be sapwood with just a little heartwood.  can both be used, or  do I need to reduce it down to just the heart?  How do you deal with knots in this stuff?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:10:27 pm »
I have made a sinew backed sapwood juniper bow, with just a bit of heart wood in the handle.
It's one of my favourite shooters. I believe the heartwood has better compression strength, but
sapwood is still good stuff.  How long is your stave?
You'll need to leave extra meat around the knots.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:14 pm »
if you do the quick dry method make sure to clamp it down in a lil bit of reflex...like yew it can have a tendency to deflex its self

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 11:46:24 pm »
My piece of juniper (looks like a branch) is a good 7 feet long, and very straight, but only about 3-3 1/2 inches thick at the thick end. maybe 2 inches diameter at the thin end.  I haven't split it yet, but it is the same 2 months old as Joe's.  If both he and Tyke are working on juniper bows, we may end up with three of these projects at the same time.  I have been collecting sinew anticipating this piece of wood would need it.